Sign in to follow this  

Yellow rasberry transplant

Hi there,

I have quite a few yellow raspberries on my plot which have gone a little mad. To tame them I would like to dig some up and transplant them into another area where I can access them all. Does anyone know the best time to do this ? And perhaps how to do it ? Do I have to be careful with the root ball ? Should I cut the plants right back first etc .... any advice would be really nice.

Thanks in advance.

S

Hello!

What little i know about rasberries- if planting new ones, you plant them october/ november as "bare root" canes or in spring if potted up. So, by digging them up now, you are creating 'bare root' canes, and should be no worries to transplant.

I think the yellow ones i have heard of are autumn fruiting- have they still got lots of fruit on? If so, they are autumn. If there is less fruit now than there has been, they are probably summer fruiting. The difference is how to prune. Summer fruiting, you cut out the woody stems that have fruited this season, and leave the greener/paler canes that have just grown this year as they will fruit next year. Autumn fruiting you can cut to the ground and they grow back and fruit on the same year's growth.

I have been harbouring a desire for some yellow (and in fact ANY autumn fruiting) rasberries- do you think in all your taming you may end up with a few spare canes? (cheeky :-))

Craig

hi craig

thanks for the help.

There is less fruit now then there has been in previous months.

Not cheeky at all... drop me a private message and we'll sort something out. I'm over at woodseats

Hello,

Regards pruning If in doubt just leave it- if you chop the wrong bits yi could miss any crop for next year and have to wait till the year after- that happened to me as my uncle thought mine were the ones you chop right down!

Have sent you a pm.

Craig