The TRUTH about Gleadless Valley

Hope you enjoy living on GV, I've heard good and bad things about the estate.

We as a family moved on there when I was 8 yrs old, (I'm now 65) I've many fond memories of watching it being built, running around the "countryside" as we called it, I loved it and whenever I think of my childhood on there I get soooo nostalgic..:)

I left to get married when I was 22 had my evening reception in the Horse and Groom.

We lived on Ironsides road, used to go in the John O Gaunt at 16 :hihi:

Awww memories...:love:

My mum's car got stolen, she was only there for the night! They drove it up the road then set it on fire! She'd only had the car 3 weeks too!

take no notice of rumours the valley as had it's fair share of bother but know more than any othe estate i've lived on the valley for over 50 years and not had any trouble the shops at newfield and john of gaunt pub but you go ahead and live in what was the nest estate in europe it was an award winner at one tim. theres not many places that as 5 pub 3 resturants, open fields and park land with woodland and one is an ancient woodland, a stream running through the middle if you like golf it as a golf course on the edge of the estate, theresx the old bishops house in meers brook park, or go th graves park the biggest park in sheffield great for kids it had a pets corner full of ducks and poultry horses pigs cows ,sheep that always seem to be lambing and many more

take no hnotice of what people say its ok

Note to self. "Remember your New Years resolution Paul..." Sorry for wasting a post.

Edited by strikerPaul
Was being judgemental.

We lived on the top end....Gibbons Drive.......over 26 years ago. It was lovely. We had lovely neighbours and we overlooked farmland so we were right on the edge of the estate.

We had the option to buy our house but decided against it. I didn't agree with the RTB scheme but what made our minds up was having our car bricked in and also hubbies work vehicle..........and that was way back then! From what I understand that was the beginning of the rot setting in!

We got out at the right time and invested into the private sector at Deepcar instead of the council sector. We got far more house for our money and despite a slow housing market out here we've really made much much more from our initial investment.

We now own a house worth over £200,000 for an initial investment of £16,000. We've only moved once as well during the past 26 years.

There are a lot of people that are happy to knock this area but at least we can sleep easy in our beds at night. Ok.....we have been burgled and so have others but I bet that sort of thing doesn't happen as often out here as it does on the valley.

In all seriousness........if the journey into town isn't too much of a problem for you then I would advise you to seriously consider buying in the S35/36 area's.

We have a really good community out here and some fantastic countryside on our doorstep. There are a lot of properties on sale for very reasonable prices. If you have children then the schools are second to none.

I wish you luck anyhow but I am being completely honest when I say that getting off the valley was the wisest move that we ever made.

I am totally shocked to read of how it is now and I thank my lucky stars that I don't have to live in such an area.