Grenhill Estate Mid 50's

michael p

Grenhill. did anyone live on the new estate at grenhill in the mid 50s, I can remember a friend of my mums called Mrs Pickins, she had two Dtrs called Diane & Sandra ? The Barlows from number 25 Reney Cresent, A son called Reggie and a Dtr Julie. up the road was a family called the Dogsworths, the Dad was a miner...I can still smell the newly painted rooms I was about 6 or 7 years old:)

Hi Michael P - I used to live on Gervase Ave. but only for about 2 years when I left to get married, but my parents were there for a good many years. We lived in the bottom half of a maisonette opposite the large school field which had a path going up to the main road. This field, I gather, is no longer there. It was built on. We moved there as part of the "slum clearance" near Weston Park. It was so lovely out there and to have a bathroom and central heating - we thought we'd moved to heaven!!

Hi. We moved to reney cresent from hillsborough where my parents lived with my nan in rudyard rd, my sister was a few months old so it must have been over crowding why we moved. Us kids loved it, no more having a bath in front of the fire. I remember my nan used to visit mainly just to have a long soak, hot water on tap, no more boiling the kettle to keep the bath hot.

I cant remember gervase ave, as behind us was open grass land with buildings going up all over the place which may have been Gervase Ave amongst them. I remember that there was gangs of us little kids roaming all over the waste land all from different parts of Sheffield. There was a picture house close by where, 'if it was your Birthday they would give you a bag of dolly mixtures.All the kids had a birthday every week.. lol.

Went to Greenhill school, all modern compared to Morley St School in Hillborough. All us kids used to play on the roundabout nr the school, ' thought it was a playground. The other roundabout at the top where you lived wasn't there as far as I can remember. Us kids used to walk to Millhouses park to watch the steam trains go by from a wooded hill opposite the park, average age of us must have been 6 to 10, couldn't do it these days, happy times.