PS3 Top Case Problem

evodude

watch this vid from 3min 10secs and when he lifts it up at the back, notice how the front dunt slide away, it stayes hooked in till he lifts it away. when putting it back, hook the front in then lay the back down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9dlHhP2M78

Thanks for that, sorted now.

Is there anyway to tell if the fans working on a ps3? Gets very hot after fifteen minutes and the fans aren't kicking in.

Thanks for that, sorted now.

Is there anyway to tell if the fans working on a ps3? Gets very hot after fifteen minutes and the fans aren't kicking in.

You would know if the fan was not workin, it would just overheat and switch off in seconds.

Believe or not but the fan on a ps3 is needed the second you turn it on.

When my old 40GB stopped puting out a tv signal, i had a little mess about with it by unplugging the fan and turning it on. Within about 8 seconds it overheated and switched off with a blinking red light.

Edited by PlayStation

You should be able to feel air being blown out of the back vents if not,you sure the fan is plugged in? Did you strip it down completely?

Yeah it's all in buts, decided to do the thermal compound while I'm here. I can feel warm air coming out but it gets really hot, really fast. Hopefully not the start of ylod.

You would know if the fan was not workin, it would just overheat and switch off in seconds.

Believe or not but the fan on a ps3 is needed the second you turn it on.

When my old 40GB stopped puting out a tv signal, i had a little mess about with it by unplugging the fan and turning it on. Within about 8 seconds it overheated and switched off with a blinking red light.

Ah right, was just wondering because it doesn't spin up when the ps3 gets hot.

Ah right, was just wondering because it doesn't spin up when the ps3 gets hot.

theres a temperature sensor inside the CPU and it will adjust the fan speed if needed.

obviously in your case, it may feel hot but not hot enough for the ps3 to up the speed.

i changed the thermal paste on my 80GB ps3 and it is a lot cooler than it use to be but can get quite hot but the fan does not go crazy. so all is good.

just do what i do everytime i go on it, just wipe away any dust from the vents before turning on and all should be good.

never buy any clip on fans or point any desk fans towards it as it messes with the airflow and will not provide the right method of cooling.

these clip on fans people buy for them and stick them on the back, they make the situation worse because you have just made it harder for the air to get out, plus the ps3 fan and the clip on fan are not in sync with eachother so the air is moving at different speeds and is infact holding the hot air back instead of kicking it straight out. so then the hot air is hanging around longer and just creating more heat.

Well the reason I decide to clean it out was because I had it on for around an hour and a half, it got very hot but the fans didn't kick in. Then it turned itself off with he red lights flashing on the front. Just thought it was so odd that the fans would not kick in even though it had overheated. There's no intercooler on it or anything, just the standard fan.

Well the reason I decide to clean it out was because I had it on for around an hour and a half, it got very hot but the fans didn't kick in. Then it turned itself off with he red lights flashing on the front. Just thought it was so odd that the fans would not kick in even though it had overheated. There's no intercooler on it or anything, just the standard fan.

maybe the temperature sensor is faulty.

mine was faulty in my 40GB. the fan use to kick in to the max it would go just after 9mins of it being switched on. now the console was totaly cool. could not find any spot on it that was hot, also the air coming out the back was cold but yet after 9mins it still came on full.

so ye maybe your sensor is faulty which is not good because if it gets hot and the sensor is saying its cool then the fan is not going to raise to compensate for the heat.

its a shame you opened it up because you could have sold it to a store like CEX in town or traded it in for a slim model. but you wont be able to do that now you have removed the warranty sticker and opened the console up.

what i would sugest now is get a memory stick and backup all your game saves before it ends up going and just prepare for it fully breaking.