Car engine advise needed - Toyota Yaris

Hoping someone can help me, I was driving to meadowhall today in my 2006 Toyta yaris (new model) and when I was in the queue to get in the carpark it sounded as if a fan came on in the engine. It stayed on for around 10-20 seconds and went off, then a few minutes later it did it again and then again after that. It didnt do it on the way home as it was a pretty straight run, it was just doing it when I was stationary in traffic.

Is this normal? I've never heard it do it before and I spend most days in traffic on Eccy Road so Im just concerned that it might mean somethings overheating in my engine?? Does anyone else own a toyota yaris whose car does this?

engine blown. sorry, thats a engine

Quite normal , fans are electric these days and only come on when needed , usually in stop/go traffic. Sensor tells fan to come on when engine getting to a certain temp. Will rarely come on while on a straight run.

HTH