Availability for work

You need to check your contract. How long have you worked there?

i doubt hes worked here that long... maybe bummed off the government for a good few years tho ;)

i have.

i recieved a response.

basically weekend work.

i dont mind but not every weekend. wheres the quality time come into it?

honestly sometimes i think im better off being a sponger.

It sounds as though your employer may have met their legal obligations to you ie they have offered you the working hours that you want within their business constraints (even if the hours are not for the days that you would ideally want to work).

Now you have their decision you need to see what your employers "dispute resolution" arrangements are (this may be called "formal complaints" or "grievances") and then you need to formally follow them..........but usually these have deadlines attached to them so if you are going to raise a complaint do it quickly.

Usually this will mean having a meeting with the person who made the decision about your hours and them explaining further why they have done what they have - you can then state your case. If you are in the trade union you are able to bring them (or another rep) to the meeting.

After this meeting - if the decision is still the same - most employers dispute resolution process allows for an appeal - to someone independant this time.

What the employer doesnt have to do is do what you expect them to do. They only need to consider your application and then try and accomodate you if they can.

Sounds like you think that they are just being unfair rather than trying to understand they are running a business and it is not quite as simple. There will be knock-on effects of accomodating you suddenly, which I can only presume affects the hours someone else is doing. If they have enough people covering shifts during the week and then try and give you more hours, logic tells me someone in the team would then have to lose those hours you are taking. And that's not really going to happen unless they actually want less hours in the week. If the employer has no more hours to offer during the week, not a lot you or they can do.

Edited by indizine

i doubt hes worked here that long... maybe bummed off the government for a good few years tho ;)

she that is.

i wondered how long it would take for some illogical eejit to chime up.

What the employer doesnt have to do is do what you expect them to do. They only need to consider your application and then try and accomodate you if they can.

Sounds like you think that they are just being unfair rather than trying to understand they are running a business and it is not quite as simple. There will be knock-on effects of accomodating you suddenly, which I can only presume affects the hours someone else is doing. If they have enough people covering shifts during the week and then try and give you more hours, logic tells me someone in the team would then have to lose those hours you are taking. And that's not really going to happen unless they actually want less hours in the week. If the employer has no more hours to offer during the week, not a lot you or they can do.

totally understand. im currently looking for a child minder to collect my boy from school so my availability during the week is much higher.

thank you to all who have taken time out to provide positive, legal and structual advice.

:)