Darnall News Magazine "for local people"

I used to deliver this around Darnall about 1974ish and more towards the back of Darnall, mainly ethnic minorities houses who wouldnt buy it because they couldnt speak or read english.

How long did this rag last for and what was it about, I sold it but never read it?

As i recall it was wrten by local people and the church. I do know that Rev Peter Green had a lot to do with it.Sadly it kind of went when he left Darnall. I remember wearing it all over a leotard in the Darnall Medical Aid parade round about 1973/4ish.

I used to live at Gt news Darnall on the Main Road from around 1968 to 72/73 went to Whitby Road then Beaver Hill (now Handsworth Grange) I can remember Lomas's fish and chip shop Goddard's friut shop next door to me, Bill's wet fish shop, was there an off licence called Bates somewhere where Morrisons has just now been pulled down.

Not visited there for years but loved living there.

Yes Ali you are correct, bates wine shop was on the corner.

I remember the fish shop, he was a right character, but he had the best wet fish around, he gave me one of his rubber hammers once, I dont what for or what I did with it.

The fish and Chips in Lomas was the best, they had a cafe bit at the back (or upstairs) that was a real treat sitting in there.

Darnall has gone right down the drain!

sounds similar to sharrow's famous free magazine "sharrow today"....

quite good stuff, produced by the church, but still managed to get it to mention the f... city s...ters (my band) in 1987!

Had a chat with my dad today I got my dates wrong we didnt leave the shop until 1978, dad reminded me of the big shop across from us hukins and the chemist at the side, also Blaskeys wallpaper shop.

We used to have fish and chips from Lomas's every thursday they were the best.

I believe it's a different place now but I have very happy memories of Darnall and High Hazels park.

Morrison's Store has been demolished and a new Lidl Store is rising in its place, which I feel sure will be a boon to the long suffering residents of Darnall, the salt of the earth.

Cravens Carriage Works on Staniforth Road is now reduced to rubble, only the stone pillars which were each side of the main gates opposite Nightingale Street are still standing. I understand a new housing estate is to be built on this now empty space containing houses to rent and buy. Many of my now deceased uncles and cousins served their apprenticeships there and retired from there.