Child tax credits problem!

Ok, bit of a long question but here goes,

31st march 2009 we got told that my 4 year old son has Autisum, got told to claim for DLA for him. So I put a claim in for DLA, I got a reply back around the 14th April 2009 saying he is entitled to high rate care allowance he is not entitled to the mobility part till he is 5 yrs old which would be June 2010, he has been awarded this untill june 2010. At about the same time I also got the re-newal form for the child tax credits where you have to give figures on how much you have been on that year. I thought I would phone up to give them the figures as at the same time I can tell them about the high rate care for son as it was backdated from the 31st march.

I told them everything, they said i will get a new award letter in the post. When the award letter arrived it stated that we are entitled to £94.82 per week. Which I was happy with.

Now nearly one year on, I have recieved the re-newal form for my sons DLA and filled it out and I have a reply, from his birthday in june he is entitled to the lower rate of mobility and the high rate care, this is for the next 3 years.

Someone said to me that am I getting the disabled element of the child tax credit, I said I dont know, I checked my award letter from last year and it has no mention on this. I looked it up on the internet and the element is £2670 per year, which works out at £51 per week.

So yesterday I phoned tax credits and told them about my sons DLA from June and also asked about this disabled element. Suprised to find out that I have not been recieving it. So What happens now??

I phoned them up this morning and asked, They need the information from DLA to say that my sons been getting DLA since 31st march 2009 and also to see if he is still getting it in June. So Has anyone else had this problem before as I am now wondering if they are going to back pay me from last march or not and if my weekly money will go up or down??

Can anyone help me out on this one?

You should definately get it, and they should have told you, if they overpay you it has to be paid back, it works the other way as well. you have the proof, if you loose, keep appealing, its a lot of money to loose. good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Usually with tax credits if you let them know of all changes and tell them the exact rates of DLA it is usually applied directly and within a day or so of letting them know.

Why this didnt happen is beyond me?

Ask for a full backdated payment and you should recieve this.

• 3 weeks later...

We rang back in November, but have after reading this double checked and realized we aren't getting it for our little boy. Will be ringing them Monday morning too. :(

Scrap the above, Just spoke with them, the call was registered from before but not the reson for it, now sorted andshould hear within 4 weeks...:)

Edited by Mentalmomma

Just to let you all know, that I have got and recieved backpay from march 2009 and I recieved this on the 12th march and I actually recieved £3289 and now my weekley benefit has also gone up by £128 per week which has made a big difference. Hope you get what you ask for as you are entitled to it...