Burngreave school from the 60'to 70

• 2 weeks later...
is there anybody out there who went burngreave school in the sixtys i remember mr,kemp ,mr rodgers, mr lacey, head teacher mr huges used to call him hitler tony horton

Yep I went there from 65 to 69.

Do you remember any of these names: Paul Badkin,Stuart Derby,Stuart Grainger, Terry Mason,Kieth Moore, Tony Wagstaffe, John Timmins, Jeff Leggitt, Philip Gill, Milton Chattoo, Kenneth Walcott, Melvin Pilgrim, Harry Nicholson

• 4 years later...
is there anybody out there who went burngreave school in the sixtys i remember mr,kemp ,mr rodgers, mr lacey, head teacher mr huges used to call him hitler tony horton

Yes, I went there from 1958 to 1962 and it's 50 (Yes Fifty) years ago this week that I left! My first teacher was a guy called Holding, him and another teacher called Middleton it was their first day as teachers. Before we went to "Burnie" we were terrified of the place, but it turned out not bad at all teacher wise. Some of the hard hands had gone by the time we got to the third year. The other ones I remember were Carter, Needham the woodwork guy. Raper the geography guy.Lacey big tall bloke with a thick tache' who looked like a Scotland Yard detective when he arrived at school in his belted gaberdine mac. Hague the P.T. bloke. Hardwick metalwork, Mike Carter, Harry Clarke, A Canadian fella called Dansen who useed to drive to school in a big

U.S.Army staff car. Goodlad (who I think was Australian and a bit wacko)

Smith maths,and of course Elwyn Hughes the head teacher no wonder they used to call him after "Das Fuher" as he was the spitting image of the man. Best one was Nev Reaney, Pitsmoor bloke too. Happy Days!!

Yes, I went there from 1958 to 1962 and it's 50 (Yes Fifty) years ago this week that I left! My first teacher was a guy called Holding, him and another teacher called Middleton it was their first day as teachers. Before we went to "Burnie" we were terrified of the place, but it turned out not bad at all teacher wise. Some of the hard hands had gone by the time we got to the third year. The other ones I remember were Carter, Needham the woodwork guy. Raper the geography guy.Lacey big tall bloke with a thick tache' who looked like a Scotland Yard detective when he arrived at school in his belted gaberdine mac. Hague the P.T. bloke. Hardwick metalwork, Mike Carter, Harry Clarke, A Canadian fella called Dansen who useed to drive to school in a big

U.S.Army staff car. Goodlad (who I think was Australian and a bit wacko)

Smith maths,and of course Elwyn Hughes the head teacher no wonder they used to call him after "Das Fuher" as he was the spitting image of the man. Best one was Nev Reaney, Pitsmoor bloke too. Happy Days!!

Hi,

I was interested in the "Das Fuher" title you gave your head master. Funny how kids in totally different school-years come to the same conclusion.

When I was at Burngreave (1948-52) a gang of used to call it "Stalag Burngreave". The predeccesor to your Mr. Hughes was another humourless individual we refered to as the "Commandant".

Regards

Edited by Falls

Hi,

I was interested in the "Das Fuher" title you gave your head master. Funny how kids in totally different school-years come to the same conclusion.

When I was at the same school, 1948-52, a gang of used to call it "Stalag Burngreave" and the predeccesor to your Mr. Huges was another humourless individual we refered to as the "Commandant".

Regards

Hi Falls. Thanks for your reply, and who was the "Commandant?" was it a bloke called Scowcroft or was that another school. Some of those "Burnie" teachers' reputations had preceeded them before we got there, Henchman like Perkins, Shillitoe, Challis e.t.c. One annoying thing about Hughes, I made sure I kept out of his way,was when he gave his oration after assembly on Monday mornings when he was supposed to read out the outcome of the schools sporting exploits the previous week-end, was to prattle on about the Welsh rugby team and if they had beaten the English, well that that put a smirk on his Glamorgan face!

Hi Falls. Thanks for your reply, and who was the "Commandant?" was it a bloke called Scowcroft or was that another school. Some of those "Burnie" teachers' reputations had preceeded them before we got there, Henchman like Perkins, Shillitoe, Challis e.t.c. One annoying thing about Hughes, I made sure I kept out of his way,was when he gave his oration after assembly on Monday mornings when he was supposed to read out the outcome of the schools sporting exploits the previous week-end, was to prattle on about the Welsh rugby team and if they had beaten the English, well that that put a smirk on his Glamorgan face!

Hi,

Yes, Scowcroft was "Camp Commandant". The only time I saw him smile was when a kid slipped and fell down the stairs outside his office.

By-and-large, most of the teachers were pretty reasonable. Of course some kids were always trying to "wind them up" but too dim to realize it was a mugs-game.

In my time there was Jasper Holdsworth, Mr.Snell, the two Mr Thomas', Ken Rawlins, Fred Shaw, John Holden, Fred Garratt, Messers Needham & Holly for woodwork, Mr.Fearnehough for metalwork and others with names I can't remember.

At the beginning of our second year (Sept 49) We got a new teacher called Ireland straight off the training college assembly line. By Easter, we had 'destroyed' him and he went off on some kind of stress leave. He surfaced some years later on Scowcroft's staff at the new Hinde House School.

In a class-by-himself was Perkins. He began throwing-his-weight-about the day he arrived. I didn't have much to do with him as he always taught "C" stream classes and I was always in "A" streams.

All a long time ago.

Regards

Edited by Falls
text changes

Hi,

Yes, Scowcroft was "Camp Commandant". The only time I saw him smile was when a kid slipped and fell down the stairs outside his office.

By-and-large, most of the teachers were pretty reasonable. Of course some kids were always trying to "wind them up" but too dim to realize it was a mugs-game.

In my time there were Jasper Holdsworth, Mr.Snell, the two Mr Thomas', Ken Rawlins, Fred Shaw, John Holden, Fred Garratt, Needham & Holly for woodwork, Fearnehough for metalwork and others with names I can't remember.

At the beginning of my second year (Sept 49) We got a new teacher called Ireland straight off the training college assembly line. By Easter, we had 'destroyed' him and he went off on some kind of stress leave. He surfaced some years later on Scowcroft's staff at the new Hinde House School.

In a class-by-himself was Perkins. He began throwing-his-weight-about the day he arrived. I didn't have much to do with him as he always taught "C" stream classes and I was always in "A" streams.

All a long time ago.

Regards

• 11 years later...
On 20/07/2008 at 08:35, pitsmorian said:

Yep I went there from 65 to 69.

Do you remember any of these names: Paul Badkin,Stuart Derby,Stuart Grainger, Terry Mason,Kieth Moore, Tony Wagstaffe, John Timmins, Jeff Leggitt, Philip Gill, Milton Chattoo, Kenneth Walcott, Melvin Pilgrim, Harry Nicholson

My brother Jeff Collins was there then that's how I know these guys Paul Babkins brother I went yo school with him John Babkin Stuart Grainger small guy with short Blonde hair Philip Gill I remember from the days of hanging with Stuart Butler and David Torre Milton Chattoo we hung about with and Kenneth Walcock, we left Sheffield in 1969 

Edited by Dennis Collins
Spelling