Which hybrid bike to buy?

Just checked the James website out - they've got around 30 commuter bikes for £200 or under - the Giants look pretty good.

One thing I've remembered which might stretch your budget - the little extras that mount up :-) A good lock is pretty important, and you ought to think about a helmet if you don't already have one. Reflectors aren't a bad idea and are pretty cheap - leg bands double up as slightly less spoddy trouser clips. You might be able to leave lights until September unless you plan to ride in the dark, and other stuff as you need it. If you are on a shoestring Aldi has some surprisingly reasonable cycle stuff in the summer.

J E James is ok if you know exactly what you want, dont go into that shop expecting good customer service and advice cus you wont get it. Despite this if you want one of the top brand makes in bike ( Trek Giant Cannondale ect ect ) it is the shop to go to.

We all base our opinions on personal experience - so by the sounds of it you got 'em on a bad day. The guy who sold me my Giant Boulder was an absolute legend - couldn't have helped much more than he did and I know a fair bit about bikes and he gave me some good advice. Also the reason I like JE James is the fact that as one of the last independent shops about who sell good stuff......they are open to negotiation on price :D so don't be afraid to negotiate on any bike - I got £75 off mine and a free set of front and back lights.

Pay cash and you'll get a better deal is all I can advise :)