Barrow family of Hillsborough, any memories ?

I remember the fish & chip shop well, it was opposite Proctor Place and used to do a brisk trade when people came out of the Kinema -as also did "Gordon's" around the corner in Taplin Road. I remember Mrs Barrow as a very nice person who (I think) had blonde hair and was always kind to us children. I didn't know that the Barrows lived in Regent Court, though I just looked in the 1973 directory and at that time, a K. Barrow lived at No 162.

My word - it seems such a long time ago now...:(

• 9 months later...

Hello, Mrs Kathleen Barrow who had the fish & chip shop in the 1950's on Middlewood Road was my Mother. We did live at that flat at Regent Court. Mrs Barrow had 3 children 2 girls and a boy. Mavis was the eldest and was well liked in Hillsbrough. Michael was next and still lives in Sheffield. I (Margaret) was the youngest and I too still live in Sheffield. My Mother and Sister has sadly passed away. I have lots of fond memories of my Mother and remember her always being very generous and kind to the children who came into the shop.

I cannot remember a chip shop near The Kinema can someone jog my memory and tell me exactly where it was on Hillsborough.

It was virtually facing Procter Place. I think it was next door to the

the Sasperella drink shop.

Remember calling at Barrows chip shop after going to the dance at the

Memo on a Saturday. Usually just before they closed, and ended up

with a free bag of scraps,

Happy Days

Edited by bazjea

Hi normandy - I remember your mother well; she was very good-looking and as I wrote she was always kind to us children. We used to go in for a "pennyworth of chips" and my older brother once told me that I could get a ha'pennyworth. He was pulling my leg, but I went in with Susan Lindley (my childhood sweetheart - we would both be about 7 years old) and boldly asked for a ha'pennyworth of chips. I can see your mum's smile now as she gave me a little bag of chips! Needless to say I shared them with Susan..:)