Public Transport Changes - Stocksbridge

I have a complaint about the new service changes, specifically the 57/58 service takeovers by Stage Coach. I was at first pleased to see Stagecoach buses running in the Stocksbridge area because they are cheaper than First Mainline (only because they are competing city wide however!)But now I've checked the service changes on the internet I can see that they are only providing services in the evening and on Sundays. This means that if people in Stocksbridge buy a day saver on Mainline in the day (except Sundays) and don't come home until late (as is often the case for me and many others) then they have to pay extra to use the Stagecoach bus in the evening. Also people that buy weekly buss passes on First can't use them in the evening or on Sundays and have to pay extra because they are not valid on Stagecoach. This is absolutly outragous. Not only are we hit with the some of the most expensive public transport costs in the country but we are not being forced to pay even more than we should have to. In Nottingham it is £2.70 for a day ticket valid on ALL buses in the WHOLE county, in Birmingham it is £3.30 for a day ticket to use any bus in the WHOLE of the West Midlands, in Newcastle it costs around £3.70 for a day ticket to use the WHOLE Tyne and Wear, or £3.10 for North Tyneside, In Manchester it costs £3.50 for a day ticket to use any bus in the Greater Manchester area. I struggle to find many cities that have a more expensive cost to use public transport outside London. Why are we being so ripped off. how's this suppossed to attract tourism to our city or encourage people to use public transport instead of cars. I will be starting a petition around Stocksbridge to help bring about a better solution to the current transport system, I propose that either Mainline or Stagecoach operate seperatly all the time, or they both operate together all the time just as frequently. That way people in Stocksbridge, Deepcar and Oughtibridge, etc aren't going to get as ripped off as they are being currently.

as if the service out there isn't bad enough! (it was garbage, when I lived out there, and god, it aint improved any!)

the transport group I am part of is trying to press for a "one ticket-all services" facility.

I think it's a complete and utter pleck, having two different companies running on a single route, (I mean when there is only one route, not like the 52, where it's shared all day) for a second company to take over in the evening is outrageous.

as the op said, what the hell is the point of forking out for a daysaver or a weekly/ monthly pass if you cannot use it, on the only stinking rotten route to your godforsaken village in the back of beyond.

if the other company is responsible for taking over the route at certain times of the day, the passes/ daysavers should be valid on both.

what happens if the passenger is a nurse, say, on afternoons? to get to work for 1300, s/he has to catch one company's service, but when s/he finishes at 2100, they are forced to go home on the other company's service.

It stinks. it stinks to high-heaven.

I think part of the problem is down to the sheer lack of competition - stagecoach have hardly made a dent in Firsts ridership, because they don't have the same coverage levels across the city.

Its the same down here in Portsmouth, except its £4.70 for a day saver (I don't catch buses, thank god.)

Is this a recent change Dubpiper? I'm new here (stockie) and am just finding my feet. I haven't got to grips with the public transport at all!!

I agree the system is outrageous - not to mention expensive. But, if Stagecoach operate evenings, can you buy a ticket that includes use of trams/other buses in the city? Is/was this possible with mainline?

Let us know where we can sign your petition..with you all the way!

Because of the cost? The travelmaster daily is £5.50 - and cannot be purchased on board the bus. What is the point of the daily ticket if you have to purchase a single to go and buy it?

You don't. I've once had to buy a single to go and get my travelmaster ticket.

Maybe you should actually do some planning from time to time? :rolleyes: