Best SKY Box to use overseas?

Emilia24

Has anybody got any information on what is the best SKY box to use/install overseas. I know you have to set up an account with SKY here and register it at a UK address. I've just purchased a villa in Majorca and need to find the best SKY box to use. I've been given a lead on Amstrad but need further advise. Come on all you Sky engineers.

Many thanks

Has anybody got any information on what is the best SKY box to use/install overseas. I know you have to set up an account with SKY here and register it at a UK address. I've just purchased a villa in Majorca and need to find the best SKY box to use. I've been given a lead on Amstrad but need further advise. Come on all you Sky engineers.

Many thanks

You could try phoning Sky...sorry just a wild guess:rolleyes:

I can tell you from first hand experience that the only way to receive sky abroad is to take the sky box and card which you have installed at the UK address you are using.The box and card match, if you take one without the other it will not work and you can't phone sky because if you tell them you are using the card abroad they will make it void.

Believe it or not it is illegal to receive sky abroad.The fact that every English person is doing so shows how crazy this whole subject is.

In mainland Spain where English people dominate it is possible to purchase the whole setup from English installers who will supply a sky card but I don't know how this is done or if it is possible in Majorca.

Southern Spain is right on the edge of the receiving"footprint" so Majorca may be the same.

When it rains heavily in the winter we lose our picture and it"freezes" frequently on certain programmes.

We have one very large dish on top of the building which supplies about 30 apartments.

You need to think about what you will do if you move backwards and forwards, unless you are prepared to pay twice or bring with you the box and card.

If you bring just the card and buy another box the card won't match which is the situation we have just been in.

We decided it was more essential to have all the programmes in Spain so have just purchased Freesky for a one off £150 but we miss Discovery and lots of other programmes.

If you discover any other way round this or if anyone reading this has any info we would be really interested to hear.

Hope this helps .Mags

Mags

many thanks for the info, I know that the box and card are paired to each other and wouldn't work if any are changed. What I'm hoping is that someone out there can advise on which box to use before I set up an account with SKy. I've noticed on another notice board that the best maybe to purchase a PACE V2 Sky + box, seems to be the strogest but still may experience week signals at times.

We'll both have to see if anybody comes up with any further info.

Thanks again.