Calling all literary folk..

Dear Reader

Thank you for taking the time to read this post....

Having recently returned to Sheffield after an extended period away I've found it exceeding difficult to find regular literary events in Sheffield. With this in mind I would be interested in importing a personal favourite of mine by holding a regular Book Slam type event to Sheffield (see http://www.bookslam.com ), tailored to meet a Sheffield audience. Naturally the popularity of the event would ultimately dictate the frequency, but ideally I'd like it to be a monthly thing ( you know like the first Thursday of the month)

The basic format

• Top and or celebrated writers.
  • Spoken word and poetry.
  • The best in local live music and performances (musician, juggler, comedian etc)
  • DJ ??

I saw something similar during Off the Shelf Festival at the Forum last October.

To be a viable event the venture would have to be

1. Self-sustaining.
  2. Revenue generating (a reasonable admission fee £7.50 to £8.00)
  3. Non-profit (all profit ploughed back into the enterprise, hiring venue, promotion etc).
  4. Have formal legal structure (for funding purposes).

In the longer term I'd also hope to secure some external funding (Art Council, Big Lottery, local council etc) and local sponsorship.

Please get in touch as I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on

1. Whether something like this or similar already exists in Sheffield. ( if so please get in touch as I'd love to get involved to help you with your venture)
  2. The viability of this proposal (Would this kind of thing fly in Sheffield, is there an appetite for it here?)
  3. People interested in getting involved (please indicate how i.e administrative, logistics, performance side, writing funding applications, social media wizard, graphic designers, etc.
  4. Suggestions on venues, format, people to approach etc

I don't see why we can't establish Sheffield as the literary mecca of the North. We certainly have a large pool of talent here, backed by a long, illustrious and proud history of creativity.

Thanks for giving me your time and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Hi there

I'm a Sheffield based freelance writer and I would certainly be interested in aiding something like this to fruition. I could help with admin, marketing etc or general support.

PM me your thoughts.

Regards.