Birley, Vic Hallam houses.

you even bigger tart!!!! lol

mum never grew up there so im safe lol.

I grew up in the Vic Hallam houses on the Birley Estate in the 70s, Newstead Road to be exact, attended Thornbridge School 1979-1983ish . The looked small houses on the outside but inside they were massive, large living room, 3 large bedrooms and that blow air heating you could sit in front of. I think theyve knocked our old house down now - loved it, remember playing 20 a side footy games on the waste ground next to Birley Moor Road - how dangerous was that on a major main road when the ball went over the fence, also before the tram lines were put in when there were trees and hedges along the golf course we used to build a swing on Birley Lane and swing out into the road !!! crazy or what !!!!

Smudgersmiff, I lived on Newstead Avenue in the 70's-80's. Used to play on the same trees and swing. Spent a lot of time in Birley Woods growing up. Just wondered if you knew the Rollinson family. Used to hang around with Paul Case, Terry Wheeler, Brendan Fowler and left Thornbridge School in 1980. Cheers.

my relations lived on wickfield quite a big family the eastons ,shane, beverly ,tina ,trever ,jaqui etc.

my in laws live on weakland.

Smudgersmiff, I lived on Newstead Avenue in the 70's-80's. Used to play on the same trees and swing. Spent a lot of time in Birley Woods growing up. Just wondered if you knew the Rollinson family. Used to hang around with Paul Case, Terry Wheeler, Brendan Fowler and left Thornbridge School in 1980. Cheers.

Nidgeroll - Hi mate, all those names you mentioned i know and the Rollinsons - You lived next door to Robert Bradley ?? You lot were a year or 2 older than me but prob same age as my elder brother, Richard Smith. You got a brother called Wayne ??? I used to play footie with Brendan for the Fairways after leaving school when Harry the Dog ran them. Good days them growing up on that estate with the woods and that at the side, Knocking it all down now though. Big mass football games on the waste ground at the side of Birley Moor Road - building the Bonfire on November 5th on the same waste ground !!!

Hi Nidgeroll, Smudgersmiff, aye there's not much left of the Birley Estate now is there? I lived on Newstead Road 'an all and my mum & dad only moved off there 2 yrs ago. Good memories though, playing football with Tony Kay, Sean Watson, Dave Howarth, Mark Kempton and anybody else who wanted to join in! It were great using the 'no ball games' signs as goal posts........smudgersmiff, did you move to Churchdale Road some years ago?

Hi Nidgeroll, Smudgersmiff, aye there's not much left of the Birley Estate now is there? I lived on Newstead Road 'an all and my mum & dad only moved off there 2 yrs ago. Good memories though, playing football with Tony Kay, Sean Watson, Dave Howarth, Mark Kempton and anybody else who wanted to join in! It were great using the 'no ball games' signs as goal posts........smudgersmiff, did you move to Churchdale Road some years ago?

Hi Bingbing - I used to live on Newstead Road for quite a few years then we moved to the top of Silkstone Road opposite Birley Hotel. Used to play footie with Steven Watson and Darren Dennison. You lot were a couple of years older than us !! We also used the NO BALL GAMES sign for a goal post !!! I remember playing cricket up at the Thornbridge school on the artificial pitch on sunday afternoons with Sean Watson and his mates, the Watsons had a Duncan Fearnley bat and we all thought we were Ian Botham coz he used the same bat !!!

I lived on Newstead Road from 1971 - 1988 my mum and dad lived there until a couple of years ago, due to the demolition, our house has gone now.:mad:

I left Thornbridge in 1985 and some of the names mentioned has brought back some memories for me. Robert Bradley, Paul Case, Darren Dennison, the Rollinsons, Tony Kay, Brendan Fowler :hihi: I was a few years younger so am more familiar with their younger siblings

I remember huddling around the blow air heating on a morning, fighting for a space with my sister. Do you remember the knob handle that you had to turn to transfer the heating upstairs at bedtime. :o

I lived on Newstead Road from 1971 - 1988 my mum and dad lived there until a couple of years ago, due to the demolition, our house has gone now.:mad:

I left Thornbridge in 1985 and some of the names mentioned has brought back some memories for me. Robert Bradley, Paul Case, Darren Dennison, the Rollinsons, Tony Kay, Brendan Fowler :hihi: I was a few years younger so am more familiar with their younger siblings

I remember huddling around the blow air heating on a morning, fighting for a space with my sister. Do you remember the knob handle that you had to turn to transfer the heating upstairs at bedtime. :o

Oh yes i do remember the handle on the heating !!!! my mam used to to make her own bread and leave it to rise in front of that heating !! Think our old house has gone now. Good old days, spent many a happy hour sitting outside the Frecheville and Fairways pubs waiting for me mum and dad - Years ago there was a decent english chippie at side of Frechy boozer that got took over by a chinese. Played football for Frechy and Spa club before it became the Sherwood !!!

I used to live on Newstead Close and we used to play kick can around the gas box and garages,we'd also regularly go across the golf course to Birley woods and play on the tarzan swing or in the frog pond. Can't remember many names but there were the Staniforths, Fairfaxes, Andersons and Glossops. Some are still around that area today I'm sure.

Ha ha that heating system was unreal.:hihi: We used to climb on the gas box and often couldnt get back down, much to the dismay of our parents, there were chips in the corner brick work, but you had to be nimble to climb it. The Browns lived next door to it and we used to peek in their house.:D I remember a few families, Warriners, Cowleys, Biggins, Dennisons all lived near the gas box.

hi nigeroll are you still in aussi land fairways pub still there & yes i knew you all . all the best Ian case