Birley, Vic Hallam houses.

I lived on Newstead Place between 1990-2000. Then i split up and lived in Frechville pub for about 9months(Dennis Hobson senior owned it)

Think they have be knocked down now.Big inside,but always leaked when it rained.

Smudgersmiff, I lived on Newstead Avenue in the 70's-80's. Used to play on the same trees and swing. Spent a lot of time in Birley Woods growing up. Just wondered if you knew the Rollinson family. Used to hang around with Paul Case, Terry Wheeler, Brendan Fowler and left Thornbridge School in 1980. Cheers.

hi nigel yes I knew aII of your family NOT SEEN WAYNE FOR A LONG TIME ARE YOU STILL IN AUSSIE CHEERS

smudgersmiff, i lived on newstead avenue in the 70's-80's. Used to play on the same trees and swing. Spent a lot of time in birley woods growing up. Just wondered if you knew the rollinson family. Used to hang around with paul case, terry wheeler, brendan fowler and left thornbridge school in 1980. Cheers.

i know these people too!! Stil do!! terrys brother craig was in my year at school!! we left thornbridge school in 1976/7.

I lived on the scowerdons though.........happy days!!!!

Edited by moetchampers

Anyone live on the Birley now or days gone. I lived there in the 70's as a kid. The Vic Hallam Boxes weren't the best houses around but I wouldn,t have lived anywhere else.

moved to the birley in 1968..how big were those houses..could play football in the living room..going on school fields and park patrol chasing us..birley woods and the old pit near bottom of golf course....

boozing in frecheville,fairway,harrow and birley...great that estate has a kid...always loads knocking about playing football in the middle of the estate...happy days

Some friends of my late husbands lived on Newstead Way, Bill and Margaret Needham, also Roger and Brenda Garnett who lived on Newstead Road,(?) Margaret only moved house a couple of years ago. Sadly Bill died in 1985.

Anyone live on the Birley now or days gone. I lived there in the 70's as a kid. The Vic Hallam Boxes weren't the best houses around but I wouldn,t have lived anywhere else.

I lived in the vic hallam houses in the 70s,i lived on newstead rd and loved it.:love:

Not been on the site for yonks.. interested to see this thread.

Brought up on Newstead Way something like 1968 to 1982 (left when I was about 18). It was a great place back then, still see plenty of people from there around. Fondly remember those massive games of footy on the middle field, how you worked your way up the heirachy the older you got. Lots of names I remember from previous posts.. some were/are my mates.. Mark Kempton, Sean and Stevie Watson, Tony Kay, Andy Bingham, .. used to live opposite the Needhams (mentioned above) and was friends with their son Dave up to a point (just drifted apart as we got older I suppose)..

Its a sad thing and a good thing they're being knocked down really.. they used to look like Butlins when I was little with all the well kept grass and stuff.. ended up like Beirut for whatever reason.. shame.

Remember the old sweet shop.. was it called Farrellys or something?

The Butchers with the rabbits hanging in the window and bloodied sawdust on the floor.

The Co-Op.. the beer-off at the Frecheville (10p back on a pop bottle), free scraps from the chippy.. jumpers for goalposts (or 'no ball games' signs as someone mentioned haha) etc

Remember the meadow grass where the golf course is now, used to ripple in waves when it was windy.. Birley Woods and the tarzan swings.. daring each other to go up to school (Thornbridge) in the pitch black to confront the ghost of the cleaning lady who'd fallen in the boilers.. scrumping crab apples from the orchard where the Fairways is now..

Aaah happy days

i lived on wickfield drive from 83 to bout 90,brill place then,does anyone know jeanette cresswell,colin mitchell,nicholas coulson?used to av sum rite laffs.

Hi Ian

Great to hear from you. Yes I am still in Oz, Adelaide, loving life. Heard you and Paul had fallen out, last time we were back in Birley 2004. Are things still the same or have you made up? Haven't heard from your Paul in years. Thought he might have been over to see us. Will probably be back next year for our Lisa's wedding so it would be great to catch up with everybody.

Cheers, Nidge

Hi Hetty

Noticed your reply and mentioning Bill and Margaret Needham. Margaret used to work for my in-laws, John and Margaret Hemming, when they ran the Fairways pub in the 1980's. How is she and where is she living these days? Regards Nigel