Laptop won't start up help needed

Laptop won't start up help needed  

1. 1. Laptop won't start up help needed

• Laptop
    • computer help

my mom bought a HP laptop second hand and it worked a few times then packed up. It starts to beep really loud whilst trying to start up. When it did it originally, I took battery off and kept starting up and eventually it worked it got further each time started up. Once it completed start up normally it worked fine for about a week and restarted with same problem. I think battery thing was possibly coinsidence tried alsorts battery only power only and both but no joy. Anyone any ideas if not where could I take it for a quote for her where won't be ripped off? Can get model details later if this helps? Please ignore the poll above this is first time I have used forum and not sure how to delete yet sorry please reply to problem with laptop thanks.

Hi Oggy,

OK....the beeps may tell the learned ear something. They're part of what's called the POST - Power On Self Test - and can give an indication of where the problem lies.

It's worked for a while, then has packed up. OK....were any programs installed while it was working?

Do you see anything on screen when it boots up - any text or anything?

Does it try to read the disc?

Try running it up with the battery out of the machine (you've tried this, but it IS posisble that a short circuited battery would give weird start up problems as it might limit teh power getting to the computer)

Can't advise on repair shops in Sheffield, as I try and sort my own PCs out (or leave them to gather dust in the attic) but there are some fine upstanding bods on here who'll try to help, I'm sure.

Joe

Thanks for reply I have got the model no now HP pavilion n5261. It beeps 4 times and restarts I have looked on hp site but cant find details of what the problem is to this laptop. Can find beep problems on others but not sure if the same?

Originally posted by oggy

It beeps 4 times and restarts I have looked on hp site but cant find details of what the problem is to this laptop. Can find beep problems on others but not sure if the same?

Right... it's hard to tell exactly what the beep code is without having a very exact description of the way the beeps sound eg: long/short... pauses, etc...

However, I'd guess it's a memory issue and it's entirely likely that the person selling it knew the system was on its way out, hence the reason for selling...

If it is just a memory problem you'd be advised to take the system to a PC shop and ask them to find the RAM for you and just reseat it to see if it's just a case of the laptop getting a knock or at least help you identify which (if you have more than one RAM stick) is faulty.

As a first port of call though I'd try calling HP tech support and seeing if they can confirm the BIOS beep error is memory or something else.

how long does it take before it shuts down/ turns off?

could it be an infection of any sort?

When she got it I removed a couple of programs she didn't need using add remove programs only photo and games stuff from what I remember I installed AOL as well as this was her internet provider at the time and it was all working. She had been using it on the ironing board which has one of those covers on that will reflect heat so not sure if any of this is related or not if over heated or static in battery or computer.

Not sure if tried to read disc I put in a windows xp disc last night to see if would read and repair or anything dont have original disc which would have been ME edition but it didn't read xp disc anyway it did the same as usual.

The way the beeps seem to sound are 1 beep with a pause then 3 beeps in a row this takes probably about 10 seconds before it restarts. I originally contacted HP and they went through restarting with me over the phone and it did go further each time and eventually restarted but then packed up again about a week after tried the same process but not worked again.

I have looked on their website but I am not very technical could anyone have a look for me please at link below to see if makes sense its not the exact same model but may be similar problem?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph01004

From what you've said it's not a software issue but a POST issue... ie: one that affects whether the system even completes it's own self test, let alone gets to loading and using the operating system.

From what you've said and given the reference it still looks like it's a memory issue and could be solved by replacing part or all of the memory. It sould simply be that the memory stick has been unseated somehow and needs pushing back into place properly.

Either way, my original suggestion still stands... Get someone in a PC repair shop.. like Gemsoft to take a look... I'd imagine they'll have the necessary testing kit to check your Laptops memory for you and give you a definitive answer.

oggy,

Do you know the BIOS manufacturer?

This could either be a failure of the base 64K memory of the machine, or a failure of the EGA circuitry.

If it is the memory you could try re-seating the memory in the slots as it could simply be a poor connection on one of the tracks!

HTH

Originally posted by oggy

Thanks for reply I have got the model no now HP pavilion n5261. It beeps 4 times and restarts I have looked on hp site but cant find details of what the problem is to this laptop. Can find beep problems on others but not sure if the same?

Don't they have an online 'chat' with a technical expert at HP? I used the Compaq one and they had me sorted in no time