"Sheffield Equalized Independent Druids"

Hi Curtis - I really know very little about the druids. I just have two old, undated postcards (the letter mentioned in post #18 was donated to a museum in Whitehaven).

As the links I posted in the thread don't seem to work any more, I'll email JPEG  scans of the postcards to you Here also is a new link:  https://i.postimg.cc/NFPMZwYX/Druid-postcards.jpg . Good luck with your research!

Edited by hillsbro

i can't add to this wonderful thread at all unfortunately, but just wanted to post to you all how much i enjoyed reading it.  never knew about the druids in sheffield. fascinating !

Hi Loopylou22 - glad you enjoyed the thread!  🙂

My late great Grandfather Richard Alton was secretary to the Sheffield equalised independent druids in around 1920. Sadly this is all I know other than his early life was spent coal mining in Grassmoor colliery

Hi I Alton - welcome to the Forum! It seems that the Druids and similar organisations were much more in evidence in the pre-war period than later. They evidently provided loans etc. to ordinary people who might have been reluctant or unable to approach banks, and also offered life insurance as Friendly Societies. I had an uncle who worked at Grassmoor Colliery in the 1940s and moved to Williamthorpe when it closed. It seems that friendly societies such as the Druids were busy providing their services to  people in  coal mining communities.

An ancestor of mine, Thomas Shore, lived for a time in Sheffield c. 1910 - 1917. He then moved back to his hometown of Heage, had an accident and received support from the Sheffield Equalized Independent Druids. 

"A public meeting was held in connection with the Sheffield Equalised Independent Druids, Pride of Heage lodge, on Saturday in the "Green Man" Inn, Heage.  The chairman was Mr. C. Parkin, with Mr. J. Stone as the vice-chairman.  A presentation of £100 was made by Mr. W. R. G. Langford, P.G.P. of Chesterifeld, to Bro. Thomas Shore, of Nether Heage, who has recently, through an accident, lost his eyesight." 

Derbyshire Courier, 4 September 1920.