Cutlery workers

Tony Dylla is my boyfriend's grandad. He's a lovely bloke!! Will he remember you lot?

Hi

Do you think Tony would like to talk to me about his memories of working at Sipelia work. I would love to hear what it was like working there. Could you ask him please. I would be very grateful.

Originally posted by extaxman

Hello flossie.

Did you know there is a photograph of Sipelia Works on the English Heritage site try http://www.viewfinder.english-heritage.org.uk and search for Sheffield.

Great site - got a photograph of where I was born.

Da linkie no workie :( :( :(

Tony Dylla IS 79 years old and alive and well and has many memories of people he worked with at both B&J Sippel Ltd &

Geo.Butler. Ltd. His son Michael was the cutlery unions chairman for over 15 years.

Hi

I would be really interested in talking to Tony about his memories of working in the cutlery industry. I work for a charity which is hoping to turn sipelia works into a hostel for homeless people. Much of the building now is empty and has been for several years. We want to create a small heritage centre in the building to encourage people to visit. It would be great if Tony would be willling to talk to me and have his phone number passed on.

Originally posted by Unregistered

I thought that the biggest was Hiram Wild Ltd, still going strong on Herries Road, near the Sheff Wed football ground.

George Butlers was far bigger and better in their heyday. They supplied the Queen, 10 Downing Street and had big contract with Harrods. They also carried the Bristish Standard Mark - the kitemark.

I work there for a number of years, as did my family and friends. Was the best cutlery factory by far. The people an assortment of folk, but was best thing I ever did working there. Sadly closed down now as cutlery is dying trade but such good memories. Started on Sydney Street in town then moved to Tinsley, now a unit next to meadowhall, then to Ecclesfield. I work at all three. DID not move to Deeley's when it was bought out as it was not George Butlers anymore then. Those factory days were sometimes hard but always a laugh to be heard.

Hi flossy, just come across and joined this site as an old Sheffield boy. My father was interned during the war on the Isle of Man along with my mother. Father worked for the Sippel brothers in fact one of them was a witness at his marriage to my mother. He eventualy started his own company making among other things apostle spoons, he was a little Mr. On his death the company was called FT Plating. Any one with any memories of my father out there his name was Paul Wietscher? He died when I was 8 years old. My memories are very sketchy I can remember taking his snap to him with my mother at lunch times. Incidentally did you know that after the war many Germans were treated quite badly. I have many memories of this. The result was that many changed their names. The Wymeer ( I am not sure about the spelling) family changed their name to Viners, Rickards changed to Richards. Details available at the Cutlers Hall archives department. My father was among the very few not to change his name and as a result found it very hard to sell his products. Any ex workers at Sipples, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for sharing your memories Edwin. I was really interested to read your reply. I have been trying to contact people who worked for sipples but without much success! i was particularly interested in the part about your father being interned. The Sipples too were German but still managed to create a successful business it seems. I imagine there must but more to it though and would love to find out more. If you would like to talk to me more about your family that would be great. Our aim is to set up a small heritage centre on the site of the factory where people could come and learn more. It would be a real shame if this history was lost.

Flossie was asking how the german residents here got on during the war! Well we hung a couple. let me explain. Where I lived in Shiregreen there was a Bloomer family and I think my mates and I overheard a parents conversation in which it was said that they were German (probably been here centuries). They had a large family including young twin boys (too young to be in our gang) so we hung them occasionally, from the street lamps, rope under their armpits you understand.Passing Shoppers used to complain but when we explained that they were German nothing was said. Anyhow we let them join the gang. so we had a truce well before D Day

Originally posted by desmitch

Flossie was asking how the german residents here got on during the war! Well we hung a couple. let me explain. Where I lived in Shiregreen there was a Bloomer family and I think my mates and I overheard a parents conversation in which it was said that they were German (probably been here centuries). They had a large family including young twin boys (too young to be in our gang) so we hung them occasionally, from the street lamps, rope under their armpits you understand.Passing Shoppers used to complain but when we explained that they were German nothing was said. Anyhow we let them join the gang. so we had a truce well before D Day

I hope one of them isn't related to the new Pope, or come judgement day it's the down escalator for you :P

Re German cutlers who changed their names.

The Vieners who came over in about 1900 became Viners, and the Richartz brothers in 1932 became Richards. The Sippel brothers seemed happy to retain their German name.

During the war their manufacturing facilities were used to make products for the war effort, including aircraft parts and gun components.