Cutlery workers

I can remember seeing lots of Dave Berry as he lived very near to friends of my parents. I also remember seeing him and also Joe Cocker at the Esquire club located near the old Tram depot which was quite near to the old Kennings gargage and show room, very near to the train station, cant remember the street name though, would it be Shoreham Street? The Sheffield archives is quite near by. I returned to Sheffield for a visit last week. Walked down a small walk way near to or along side the Central methodist hall. Does anyone remember the cafe which was the in place to be seen in Sheffield in the 1960's Cant remember the name of the place. Also visited the Central Library, does any one else remember as I do visiting the library theatre. Its sitauated under the Central Library and is approached from the rear films were often shown there on Saturday mornings. I remember taking my first girl friend there (cheap skate).

I can remember seeing lots of Dave Berry as he lived very near to friends of my parents. I also remember seeing him and also Joe Cocker at the Esquire club located near the old Tram depot which was quite near to the old Kennings gargage and show room, very near to the train station, cant remember the street name though, would it be Shoreham Street? The Sheffield archives is quite near by. I returned to Sheffield for a visit last week. Walked down a small walk way near to or along side the Central methodist hall. Does anyone remember the cafe which was the in place to be seen in Sheffield in the 1960's Cant remember the name of the place. Also visited the Central Library, does any one else remember as I do visiting the library theatre. Its sitauated under the Central Library and is approached from the rear films were often shown there on Saturday mornings. I remember taking my first girl friend there (cheap skate).

Think that was Leadmill Road

I worked at B&J Sipples for 5years from 1964-1969 as an apprentice Maintenance Fitter and then left to go to Richard Brothers down the moor. I remember going through the Buffing Shop and being petrified of the women shouting, "get his trousers down and see whats he,s got", I could run then..............Ha Happy Days:hihi:

My Mother, Aunt, and Grandmother worked in the cutlery and scissor trade including buffing.My mother and aunt worked at Taylors Eye Witness on Milton and Egerton Street, it was like walking into timewarp.I know this was years ago, but it was like a museum even then.

I have family members that worked at Sipples and Taylor eye witness

Tony Dylla, Graham Lee, Polly Lee, Margaret Moor, Maureen Thomlinson. Elsie Woolhouse, And at Tayor eye witness

Albert & Tommy Thackeray, Some of the above went to work at George Butlers including my Dad Mum Auntie Granddad Great Uncle

My Granddad Retired from George Butlers in about 1991 ish and he has been mentioned in this thread quite a few times. Glad to know his name still lives on, since he has now left us.

Edited by Benylyn

hi..regarding your response to the question put about tina and ethel....i know its a little late for reply...but just a quick thankyou for your response...all the best rickhornloom...

I worked at Vineers for some years.It was amazing just how skillful the people were and what lovely things they made - To watch a fluted silver bowl being made was humbling,as was the creation of a multi armed candle stick -ldm

I have family members that worked at Sipples and Taylor eye witness

Tony Dylla, Graham Lee, Polly Lee, Margaret Moor, Maureen Thomlinson. Elsie Woolhouse, And at Tayor eye witness

Albert & Tommy Thackeray, Some of the above went to work at George Butlers including my Dad Mum Auntie Granddad Great Uncle

My Granddad Retired from George Butlers in about 1991 ish and he has been mentioned in this thread quite a few times. Glad to know his name still lives on, since he has now left us.

I knew your Grandad very well I worked with Tony for over twenty years, as I did with Graham and his Son plus Mick.I also lived just a few yards away from Tony on the Valley.

I knew of Tony when he worked at Sippels, It was very sad when he past away both my wife and myself went to his Funeral. Such a lovely bloke

Edited by lazarus

Prior to doing my National Service in 1956 Iworked at Lee & Wigfull John St

as a holloware stamper It was owned by Sippells and George Cunningham

artist was diesinker there We all called him George Craftypig and he was a

really funny and entertaining talker A silversmith made a ring for me,and George

engraved my initials on it

Edited by baz48
a bit to add

please could anyone help me try to trace a distant realative who i think may have worked at the factory his name was denham henry although he may have used varients in this. He was a coloured chap who i know married a muriel wooton in 1962 in sheffield i would appreciate any information thankyou

ps please could anyone tell me if there is anyway i could trace a record of the workers names

Edited by godfire
more detail

Thanks for your post Lazrath. Are you still in contact with any of the people from Sipples? Why didn't you like working there. My interest in the place is that I work for an organisation that would like to set up a heritage centre in the building and we would like to make contact with the people that used to work there. Wonder if you can help? i really would like to know what the factory was like. Thanks again.

My sister worked at siples in the early 50s, I cant remember how long she worked there before she got married in 1955. She is now in her 70s.