My cat keeps weeing on my cooker

Hi

My cat goes out regularly during the day for a wee etc but when she gets caught short, she keeps weeing on my cooker. Any advice on how to stop this?

Thanks

Be careful what you wash the wee up with. Bleach will encourage the cat to keep peeing there, cos of the ammonia in it. Try washing the area well with a solution of biological washing powder.:)

You could also try putting a litter tray down for her if she can't always make it outside.

Sounds like she's scent marking territiry rather than just weeing- and contrary to popular belief, females do spray as well. We had one years ago used to mark the cooker- ended up getting rid of it as she'd compromised the metal hinges and turned it rusty in places- ther's just no getting rid of the lingering odour once it gets to that stage. Use the cleaning regime recommended above (no bleach, no disinfectant) but more important to identify the underlying causes of this new behaviour. Is she your only cat? Does she feel threatened by other cats in the vicinity- has something changed in your life or hers that may be causing her stress ( a new baby? family breakdown or get together? Change of working pattern?) You'd be suprised just how sensitive pets are to change. You could try installing a plug in Feliway diffuser (not an air freshener as such but something that emits feline appeasing pheremones that help stressed out cats to 'chill'). Lots of previous threads on this subject so do a search on spraying, Feliway and you should find a few links- you can buy the plug and the refills from ebay and from most online vet pharmacies in the UK - a range of prices though- think the best price Ive had a full unit for is about £18. The refills last about a month.

^^ What she said.

The other things you could do with cleaning to get rid of the smell are to get your hands on a steam cleaner since that digests the smelly molecules and some Safe4 odour killer (or similar). They finish off the job that biological washing powder starts.

The repeated cleaning won't take the place of working out why she's scent marking and stopping her doing it though- that's where the Feliway and behavioural stuff come in.

Thanks very much for your suggestions. We moved house nearly 2 years ago and she started doing it from then. Yes she's our only cat. She never did it in our other house. Maybe that is what is wrong, she's stressed. Sounds weird though, she seems so relaxed. We did get another pet (bearded dragon) earlier on in the year and she does sit and watch it occasionally. Its locked in my son's bedroom so she doesnt see it often. I'm going to be trying you suggestions as when I got home from work yesterday she'd done it again.

Thanks

This story reminds me of an Insurance claim I was asked to deal with when I had a computer shop.

Person brought in a laser printer, they'd gone on holiday leaving pusscat at home. As revenge pusscat had urinated several times in the top of the laser printer.

The printer insides where totally corroded and it really whiffed !!!

The insurance claim went through OK.

REMEMBER cats can be are malicious, cold blooded, vindictive.

I keep reminding myself that apart from humans cats are the only animal that kills purely for the fun of it.

Sorry if I missed anything and it might be a silly question but do you provide her with a litter tray for if she is in the house? maybe she just can't wait.