Shiregreen Quarry and Brickworks

When I was a young lad in the 1940's I was drawn as if by a Magnet to "The Quarry" I was told by Mi Mam that I must not play near "The Quarry"..But I couldn't help it I had to go there on secret visits lying in the long grass overlooking the workings going on down below I remember a dozen or so workmen digging out the brick clay..also i remember a steam shovel and a miniature railway system that pulled tubs like the ones used in the coal mines..Up on the far bank there used to be a watchman with a pair of binoculars who would patrol the area looking out for us lads cos some of the lads off the Flower estate used to go swimming in the black pool of water after the workers had gone home ..we used to be scared of him he had a very loud voice and a big stick..But as a few youngsters had drowned in that water in past years, so he must have been doing a good job....Anyone else remember this place...and what happened to it.

I think there was a brick works near Concord Park , at least until the wars end.

My brother born 1933 remembers the quarry/brick works, and riding in the lorries to deliver bricks to the church down Bellhouse road i was born 1939 on Shiregreen lane,and the family had moved by the time i was walking so had no involvment.

The Quarry was right at the back of Shiregreen Secondary school, it,s true that a child drowned in it, it was finally filled in during the 70's, and a dental surgery is now on the site.

Wasn't the quarry where the old folks home is now? I remember late fifties we used to go there to catch newts in the old jam jars.

When I was a young lad in the 1940's I was drawn as if by a Magnet to "The Quarry" I was told by Mi Mam that I must not play near "The Quarry"..But I couldn't help it I had to go there on secret visits lying in the long grass overlooking the workings going on down below I remember a dozen or so workmen digging out the brick clay..also i remember a steam shovel and a miniature railway system that pulled tubs like the ones used in the coal mines..Up on the far bank there used to be a watchman with a pair of binoculars who would patrol the area looking out for us lads cos some of the lads off the Flower estate used to go swimming in the black pool of water after the workers had gone home ..we used to be scared of him he had a very loud voice and a big stick..But as a few youngsters had drowned in that water in past years, so he must have been doing a good job....Anyone else remember this place...and what happened to it.

yes i remember the quarry used to swim i our birthday suites i lived at firth park

bevercotes road

always playing down the quarry used to climb over the wallnear shiregreen school

bracken road end.same as when we went to the fair in concord park

cheers

Hi Timbuck, I could have written your post about hiregreen Quarry myself as we used to to do exactly as you mentioned.

I used to live at No 176 Bracken Rd and our back garden used to lokk over the quarry.

My btother brought home from the war a large 25 man dingy and we used to take it down to the pond in the quarry, which was very foolish, as none of us could swim, I used to get a pasting from my dad when he found out.

But looking back, they were happy days, playing on the little trolleys until the watchman saw us and then we,d runnlike hell.

I remember the quary finding it completely by accident with a few mates about 1970

We had come over from grimesthorpe ,one of our mates fell in the water 

We never went back it was a frightening place we were about 8 years old.