Newton Chambers & Company Ltd

Timbuck mentioned Major Morton and Jack Dougan who I remember well as I played in the junior cricket team which Major Morton organized, what about al the camp sites we would prepare under Jack Dougan in Smithy wood for weekend scout camps. Does anyone remember the instructors of the training school, Mr. Frost in the machine shop, Mr. Curry in the construction and Mr. Pinder in the foundry. What about the working cutaway JAP. engine in the machine shop. The tea urn and dripping sandwiches from the canteen for mid-mornig break.My brother David followed me three years later and finished up in the works electrical maintenance dept.

Did the company build or repair railway waggons prior to 1900?

I have been led to believe that my grandfather (George Perry) served his apprenticeship at Newton Chambers before becoming a "journeyman railway waggon repairer" near Lockwood, Huddersfield.

Laurence Perry

think my uncle christopher dickens worked for newton chambers in the 1970's

During my time at Thorncliffe I joined the works competitive fire fighting team and didn't we do well,travelled all over Yorkshire to take part in huge events. Most large companies had their own firefighting depts. and they would have an annual competition to see who was quickest at dry or wet runs. When the event was held in Endcliffe Park in Sheffield about '65 our team won overall prize for best in Yorkshire. We trained on the grassed area beside the girls business school off Thorncliffe Lane. Ted Hills

Newton Chambers had a full crew called the "Outside Erection Department" who did all the assembling of large jobs on site.

Oh my god, what a dream job !!!!!!:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

The Sheffield Local Studies Library's website has some old illustrations relevant to Newton Chambers - here is a sample: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s09750

I remember reading a short history of the firm some years ago but I cannot remember where. The firm was founded in the early 1800s by Messrs Newton and Chambers, both of them local businessmen. Thomas Chambers was a grocer & draper, and also the local postmaster in Chapeltown. I happen to have a letter sent by him in 1841, addressed to a solicitor at York - here is a scan:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Chambers.jpg

and for the philatelically-minded...

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Chambers2.jpg

There is a book about the history of Newton Chambers in the Local Studies Library, also at the back of the estate office of the site there is a small 'museum' run part time by a very nice lady called Gloria, worth a visit.

Dean.

During the time I worked at Thorncliffe I remember a company newsletter called 'Thorncliffe News' coming out every Friday I think and about once a month there was an addition called 'the History of Thorncliffe' which traced the whole company back to its beginnings. I only wish I had kept mine in a safe place! I imagine that this collection would have made up the book mentioned by dean 1- Ted Hills

When I started work at Thorncliffe in the late 70s, I was shown some nearby houses and told they were made of iron panels, made at NCs. I think that they might be on Mortomley Close. Does anyone know if this is correct, and if it is, how were they constructed?

I have a Thorncliffe News dated March 1961. It belonged to my late Father. He kept it because it contained an obituary for his sister Margaret. She worked at Thorncliffe for many years.

Anyone remember when the Warren Lane factory (NCK) joined up with Ransome & Rapier at Ipswich, the boiler shop made one of the first booms for a walking dragline from std. rolled sections. I was working in the template shop at the time, what a challenge that was, certainly enjoyed the experiance. Also recall a union walkout with, was it Ernest Copley,the shop steward walking proudly at the front of the whole workforce. Interesting time to be introduced to industrial life. Ted Hills