Newton Chambers & Company Ltd

Coincidence I have just posted a Query about Newton Chambers and then put the name into Google and found all these letters.

I started on 12th April 1946 and remember the Pre-Entry course for about 6 weeks along with Bevin Boys (They were paid more than we were) the Apprentice supervisors Surname was Dorgan and a one armed man called Longmuir there was a Gymnasium and this was run by Alan Hewling recently out of the Army.

I then worked for a few months in the Tackle Stores part of the Outside Erection Dept and well remember Clem Shaw and Johnny Goddard.

Someone then decided I might become a Draughtsman (despite my non- existant knowledge of Maths) I worked as a Office Boy in the office run by Ken Sheard and the Manager was called S G Rippon Bill Leaver was manager in the same building (He later retired to Scarborough) where I now live, I then worked in the Heavy castings foundry with a man called Charlie Birch whose Brother was centre Half for Rochdale and his Father was a goalkeeper for Chesterfield.

I spent a winter at the Tank factory by then making Excavators, N C H304 and NCK605 and a Chris Aldred was manager of one department I worked in and a man called Davenport was manager of the other section overall manager was a Mr Shaw.

Finally I went to work in Heavy castings head office with a man called Fred Wigginton a Gordon Ibbertson had an office to himself so I suppose he was the office manager and Mr Emmett was head of the draughtsmen..

After I was called up for National Service and did my two years I did not settle to office work and left the firm but despite advancing years I still have total recall of my time there.

Gordon England (Scarborough)

My Father in Law Donald Needham died last week at the age of 106 (that's right - he was born in Sheffield in Oct 1908).

After qualifying as a Cost and Works Accountant in the late 1920s he worked for Sheffield Corporation Transport for some years and, after the war, joined Newton Chambers as an Accountant and Financial Manager in the Chemicals Division.

When the NC Group was re-organised in 1960 Donald was appointed Director and General Manager of Izal Ltd and Chairman of Ronuk Ltd. In 1966 he moved to NC's Associate Company Wellman Engineering Ltd in the Midlands as General Manager to help sort out some of the problems they were having. In 1969 the Wellman Group was taken over by Clarke Chapman, and Donald retired in 1970.

I have some of Donald's notes which include names of the other Directors and senior managers appointed in 1960. They include two of the names mentioned by Gordon England in his last post: Ken Sheard and Mr SB Rippon were made Directors of Newton Chambers Engineering Ltd at that time.

Donald remained fit and well all his long life - he spent the last 10 years in Suffolk to be close to us, and will be buried next week here in our little country churchyard alongside his late wife Gwen. He died happy in the knowledge that Yorkshire are County Cricket champions as is only right and proper.

My late Uncle, George Ridge, worked for Newton Chambers. I first met him when I was in England 1971. It is only now that I have found out what Newton Chambers made. I think he had something to do with the computers in the office and he was an accountant. Anybody remember him?

I remember the name. Indeed, there were a lot of families called Ridge in the Ecclesfield and Chapeltown area. Might be worth looking at the Ecclesfield and Chapeltown Through the Years page on Facebook...someone there is sure to know something of use.

My old neighbour was called George Ridge from Ecclesfield but as far as I know he never worked for Newton Chambers. His parents ran the Ball Inn and he was a joiner, his brother Harry worked as an assistant in the lab at the Grammar school and Harry is still with us, in his 80s now. Georges family are among my oldest friends. He couldn't have been your Uncle though as he only had the one brother and Harry never had children

I remember the name. Indeed, there were a lot of families called Ridge in the Ecclesfield and Chapeltown area. Might be worth looking at the Ecclesfield and Chapeltown Through the Years page on Facebook...someone there is sure to know something of use.

Would you have a link to that FB page please - I can't find it. Thanks.

I'm trying to find out any information on ingot and cauldron wagons built by Newton Chammbers around the 1960s for Port Talbot steelworks, I am after leaflets, catalogues, photos, dimensions, anything relevant please, many thanks

Paul

My Dad Frank Hibbert worked at NC from 1947 I wish he was still here he had a great memory. I worked there for a few years 1970s. I worked from Mr Colton chief metallagist.

Names I remember Bob Scorrah! Robert Littlejohn, Stuart Ramage

I pursuing my family history I  note that a Mr. Donald M. Robertson , was appointed  foundry works manager , in 1939 .

He was  a Scot  who had a background in the industry , including time in Falkirk , Stirlingshire, and elsewhere .

He died in Sheffield in 1963 .

I obtained this information ( plus a lot more ) from reading an article entitled FOUNDRY APPOINTMENT  which appeared in THE FALKIRK HERALD   SATURDAY  JUNE  24  1939

I know a Phillip Hurst that l that lived on School Road atHigh Green and he was a

joiner there but it must have been in the 50s as know him from 1962 

My father was managing director there until 1979 by which time it had been bought out by Ransome & Rapier. They built the flood gates for the Thames barrier and I have photos of the gates being loaded ready for transportation down to London. I show my geography students the photos when I teach flooding and climate change