Newton Chambers & Company Ltd

There is a good film on the Yorkshire film archive of Newton chambers -click on 50s south yorkshire

Been on archive site, there's one or two from Newton Chambers. I recognised a couple of faces. God, I'm OLD.......:hihi:

we are all getting old nimrod ,but we never get fed up of reading about the old times to do with Newton Chambers ,i still pass infront of the White House and up the steps to go to the gym located in the managers canteen ,the old stag still stands in the shrubery where it has been for well over a 100 yrs. i sometimes take photos of it and wonder what stories it could tell ,

hi,does anyone remember me ALAN HARDY ,started in training centre in 1959 then worked in the welding shop till 1964.with dick young ,john young,harry peart,john ullyatt,ted batty.bill burtoft and fat greaves were the foremen.i think watkinson was the manager.my nickname was boo-boo(thanks dick)spent many a happy hour working up at warren lane,rolling in money!my 1st yrs wage was £2-6shillings and 9pence weekley,wow!loved it there,along with carole and mary in the canteen and margaret in the offices,ha ha.not mentioned harry butler.

Edited by ablade

THORNCLIFFE RESURRECTED (in part)

During the summer holidays of 2012 over a five week period between 23rd July to17th August 2012, the Coterie Gallery & Fine Art Studio will be embarking on a weekly series of art workshops themed on the industrial heritage of the area focusing on Newton Chambers and Thorncliffe Valley.

The workshops are aimed at children aged from 4 to 12 years and parents from the area through schools, council and press, many of whom not only live on the former industrial sites but are also unaware of their industrial heritage.

The results of the childrens workshops will form part of an exhibition in the gallery running throughout September, this exhibtion will also display artifacts, memrobilia, and original products which were produced in the many divisions at Thorncliffe, i:e Old Izal products. Redfyre. Thorncliffe newsletters, etc.

We have lots of information about the history of Thorncliffe, thanks to local residents and Chapeltown/High Green Archives, indeed this forum page contains a wealth of personal information but what we would like are the loan of original items, past products, etc to form part of the exhibition. (We can cater for the odd Churchill tank, seriously)

The Gallery and studio is situated at the end of Pack Horse Lane within what used to be High Green Secondery school and is now Paces Campus.

We are at the top of Thormcliffe Valley and adjacent to the Thorncliffe Sports Club playing fields so we are part of the area where persons seeing the exhibition can relate to the area.

The workshops and exhibition is supported by Westwood training, East Peak Industrial Heritage, English Heritage, and East Peak leader programme to introduce and maintain the areas industrial heritage both for all sections of the community many of whom are new to the area living on what was once part of these sites and being unaware that in the past they may have had a blast furnace in their garden.

If anyone can assist with the loan of items please contact us on

http://www.coteriegallery.co.uk anthony@coteriegallery.co.uk 07981 851174 or call in the studio

The Workshops are free, pick up a form showing the dates and activity and register at reception. due to the demand each workshop is limited in numbers and the workshops attending.

Entry to the gallery for all exhibitions is free. open Monday-Friday 9-5. Free parking on site, Full disabled access, Craft shop, Cafe', Large indoor children play centre on site (small charge) and Westwood Country Park, Spend a couple of hours

I'm trying to date a couple of files with 20 odd caricature pictures of what appears to be sports club members, a couple of the names are mentioned in this thread, L. Gardner star salesman, Harry Giblin inside left.

If the caricature is of Louis Gardner (Gardiner?), I would love to see it, for Louis (always known as Bill --he was W.L. Gardiner) was in the Redfyre department. Have you seen the Remember Newton Chambers page on Facebook?

hi,does anyone remember me ALAN HARDY ,started in training centre in 1959 then worked in the welding shop till 1964.with dick young ,john young,harry peart,john ullyatt,ted batty.bill burtoft and fat greaves were the foremen.i think watkinson was the manager.my nickname was boo-boo(thanks dick)spent many a happy hour working up at warren lane,rolling in money!my 1st yrs wage was £2-6shillings and 9pence weekley,wow!loved it there,along with carole and mary in the canteen and margaret in the offices,ha ha.not mentioned harry butler.

The name sounds familiar, but there were others called Hardy or Hardie in my time in the engineering (Redfyre) division in the 1959-62 period. Have you seen the Remember Newton Chambers page on Facebook?

Anybody got any memories of the old Thorncliffe Musical Society, connected to Newton Chambers, with regular concerts at Newton Hall in Chapeltown? Some of those old Gilbert & Sullivan shows were terrific!

If the caricature is of Louis Gardner (Gardiner?), I would love to see it, for Louis (always known as Bill --he was W.L. Gardiner) was in the Redfyre department. Have you seen the Remember Newton Chambers page on Facebook?

Do you have any idea when these caricature's would have been done,

here's L Gardner

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h182/sretep/newtonchamberslgardner.jpg

Full list of names,

Billy Cawkwell, H.Gregory, A.Jackson, Jack Hutt, G.Green, Billy Ingram, H.Tattersall, D.Hoy, George Fearn, W.Leather, G.Lomas, L.Gardner, J.Holmes, T.Stark, Byron Ibbotson, Bernard Burke, H.Pantling, E.Butler, H. Shannon, E.Webster, Jock Hastings, L. Thicket, The Nippies (these are two ladies with trays of food), and finally I presume the artist who just puts Me, left back and treasurer.

Missed one,

Ray Pantling

Edited by retep
missed a name out

It certainly looks like Louis Gardner, who was in the sales dept of the Redfyre dept at NC when I was there. I see the name Jock Hastings, who was an elderly salesman with Redfyre in the late 1950s. I suspect that the cartoons may date from around the late 1940s or very early 1950s. Do we know who did them. I ask because Louis Gardner was himself into drawing and painting. He died a couple of years or so ago at the age of 99. I don't know where you live, but you might look at the Remember Newton Chambers site on Facebook, for someone on there might know something about the cartoons.

my nans new house has a newton chamber back to back stove in it, theyve removed it, its for sale if anyone is interested. cheers