Newton Chambers & Company Ltd

Does anyone know the history a company called Newton Chambers? Amongst many other things, they built, or at least supplied the materials to build, a gasometer in Aldershot, Hampshire in 1926/7. We are watching this huge landmark (& occasional eyesore) being cut up & sent for scrap to China! Does anyone know how such an enormous amount of iron & steel could have been moved from Sheffield to here in an era when outsize loads had to go by rail? Does anyone have drawings of this gasometer, or a similar one? We have copies of various papers & pictures issued in 1926/7, & pictures taken in the last few months of it's, scrapping which we could send by-mail or snailmail to anyone interested.

Newton Chambers were in Highgreen/Chapletown area now a housing estate. maybe chapletown library could help failing that try local refernce library in Sheffield. :)

Newton Chambers were famous during the war for making the Churchill tank, they were a huge firm, sadly, as with so many sheffield steel firms, now long gone. They had a private rail line linking to the main system, so this is how they transported large items.

Glad to see Interest in Newton Chambers.

The really large items such as gas holders were actually built in sections and assembled/ rivetted on site.

during the second world war, Newton Chambers produced a total of 1160 Churchill tanks. There is still a tank at the old site now occupied by Cristian Salvason at the end of Warren Lane.

Newton Chambers had a full crew called the "Outside Erection Department" who did all the assembling of large jobs on site.

I worked at Newton Chambers in the 1950's & 60's in the Machine shop next to the Foundry and i've many fond memories of my time there..I remember the Manager of the apprentice training school was a Major Morton..and the Supervisor Jack Dougan.. and they were also involved in the Boy Scout movement,

I was in the Scouts so it was easy for me to get a job there..The Managing Director Sir Harold West was the Chief Scout in Sheffield at the time and he liked all the apprentices to be recruted from the Scouts.

I've now retired, had many jobs in the engineering trade but N.C. was the best.

there's a boozer called the newt and chambers..any connection?

My dad worked for Newton Chambers, in the 50's I think, and I think he was a sales rep. His name was Harry Giblin, does anyone remember him?

I worked at Newton Chambers from leaving school in 1954 until 1968 when I moved to Rolls Royce / I have the happiest of memories of those years from the apprentice school with its gym. and TAK Hewling the instructor joining our lunch time table tennis jaunts / what a great lead in to a work a day life from the school day life / I finished up doing a draughtman's apprentice scheme and was alocated to the Warren Lane excavator factory working on jigs and fixtures and enjoyed every minute of it. You really felt part of a tradition that had been ongoing since 1793 and proud of it. Good to hear of others who felt the same

Newton Chambers were in Highgreen/Chapletown area now a housing estate. maybe chapletown library could help failing that try local refernce library in Sheffield. :)

The area was known as Thorncliffe. People didn't say they worked at Newton Chambers, they said they worked at Thorncliffe. Try the Chapeltown and High Green Archive Society. They should have loads of information on Newton Chambers.