AA recovery? More like A.I. no way recovery!

I joined the AA about 2 years ago at the AA Meadowhall Kiosk, talked to a good AA salesman, well trained "talk a good game" type. He told me £40 (about that) for local recovery, I wanted more cover for longer journeys so I finished paying £80 for National breakdown coverage.

Anyhow, phoned the AA recovery tonight to get keys locked inside my mothers car, my cars going in the garage so I'll need hers for shuttling around. AA guy came on it was like talking to A.I (Artificial Intelligence) than a person. He told me I was not covered for outside my house, unbeleivable I paid extra to iclude national coverage and yet I wasnt covered for outside my own house. ( how far away do I have to be, one thinks). So I asked how much extra for outside my house, "£34" I asked "Would there be an extra cost to get the keys out". "the cost is £34" came the reply, I said "You are being a liitle vague is there extra cost thats all I need to know" same reply as before "the cost is £34" I asked him if he was in a bad mood, "No came the reply", here for the first time in my life I told someone "to get stuffed" ( well who I dont know :-) ). I phoned back and made a complaint to the manager, never have I as a customer been treated so bad.

Moral of the story

Be careful when joining with the AA at the Meadowhall kiosk, you may not be covered.

As anyone else been dissapointed with the AA???

micksheff, I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience.

AFAIK, breakdown cover starts 1/4 mile away from your home. Any closer than that and you have to be covered under the Home Start scheme.

Moral of the story

Be careful what you buy from Meadowhall :twisted:

Used to be in the AA when I lived in Crookes and one day the da*n car wouldn't start (to me a car is either going or broken, no grey bits in between). Had to free wheel down to Upperthorpe library and then the AA came out. Bit dodgy across Commonside but people are nice and helped push me.

No moral, just rambling.

I've been in the AA for a couple of years, with just the basic cover.

I've never called them out when I've had problems at home, because I'm not covered and anyway my dad can help me out.

When I was near Peterborough, somthing went wrong with my car (dunno what). I called the AA, and he looked at it. He said it didn't look good. I was only covered for a tow to a local garage but since it was 7.30pm nowhere was open.

He then suggested that he could tow me to a local branch of Halfords, I could buy a part which he would try to fit for me. He did warn me that it may not work, but he was happy to try. So off we went to Halfords, and he spent about 45 minutes working on my car on their car park. He was able to fit the part and I drove back to Sheffield.

A couple of days later I had my car serviced, and I told the garage mechanic what had happened. He looked at what the AA man had done, and said if I'd gone to the garage they would have charged at least £70 for the same job.

So I was quite pleased with the service I got from the AA. I suppose it's all down to who they send to help you.

I used to pay the full whack, all the bells and whistles about £140 quid a year I think (And I think that included an element of "no claims discount").

Then I skidded on black ice and came to rest completely undamaged, right way up, in a ditch. I just needed pulling out. I waited 2 hours for them to come and it cost me £70 "Because this is a tow truck and towing costs extra". Sounds like b******s - they would tow me to a garage for free if I'd broken down.

This was my third call on them in 20 years (the others were simple stuff like flat battery). Do the maths, OK I wasn't always on the expensive scheme but allowing for inflation etc they'd had £2000 off me over the years. Guess who didn't renew. I've joined a cheaper scheme with guaranteed response times and if I have to pay something on top I can afford to out of the money I save compared with AA.

It's an insurance scheme and like all insurances they are strong on verbal reassurance at sales time but even stronger on small-print exclusion clauses when you make a claim.

And once you're signed up you're on their mailing list for all their other money making schemes like motor and household insurance, aggressively promoted as independent advice "we search a panel of insurers to find you the best deals" but strangely I seem to be able to find better cover at lower prices from big-name companies quite easily.

we were travelling to oxford from hull new years eve 1998 when our peugeot threw a wobbler.

called the AA. 3 hours later some breakdown truck comes along, tows us to the nearest service station and tells us to buy an 'emergency replacement fanbelt' as this was the problem with the 205. then he left.

We were stranded and ended up calling our friends in oxford and getting them to come and pick us up. Called the AA the next day and had them pick up the car, replace the belt and bring it to us, at which point we promptly cancelled our membership.

• 6 years later...

I bought a "new to me" 9 year old caravan last year. Included in the deal was Free AA membership.

When the clutch on the car went a few months later on the M1 near Nottingham I was amazed at the response time from the AA.

They arrived within 30 minutes and transorted the car and caravan home.

How much would a tow for car and caravan have cost from a motorway had I not had the AA assistance?

Brilliant service!

Thanks AA.

So, if there's a moral to this, it's to not buy things from kiosks and make sure you know what you are actually buying.

I have AA cover with homestart, specifically because it's a real pain when the car is on the drive and just won't start.

Archived