Is my kitten part Ewok?

Our recently acquired kitty, the lovely Lily, makes the oddest sounds. As well as the usual purrs and miaows she often emits a strange sort of gibberish which is very difficult to describe. It's somewhere between guinea pig and Ewok, rather high-pitched.

I've tried to find out what it means but as I'm not sure if this sort of noise even has a name I'm struggling to find anything online. Most sites seem to cover only purring, miaowing and yowling, none of which describe Lily's noises. She sometimes has a quizzical look on her face whilst making the noise; could it be something to do with her trying out/experiencing so many new things as a baby? Is she likely to grow out of it? I hope not as it's one of the cutest sounds ever :love:

She has the most wonderful vocal range, doesn't she?

Most cats make 'unusual' sounds of one sort or another. Merlin used to make noises that were best described as quacking- they were used specifically when she was trying to get through the window to the cloud of midges outside it.

Arthur yodels- when he visits other houses on our street they often come to me afterwards to ask whether he's in pain. I know that he's not- his yodelling has a scale from 'I sound like I'm in pain' which is his normal conversational self right up to 'I'm being murdered' which is reserved for when he's in a basket and in the car.

This is the sort of thing that makes them unique- I wouldn't change it for the world.

Our recently acquired kitty, the lovely Lily, makes the oddest sounds. As well as the usual purrs and miaows she often emits a strange sort of gibberish which is very difficult to describe. It's somewhere between guinea pig and Ewok, rather high-pitched.

I've tried to find out what it means but as I'm not sure if this sort of noise even has a name I'm struggling to find anything online. Most sites seem to cover only purring, miaowing and yowling, none of which describe Lily's noises. She sometimes has a quizzical look on her face whilst making the noise; could it be something to do with her trying out/experiencing so many new things as a baby? Is she likely to grow out of it? I hope not as it's one of the cutest sounds ever :love:

Is it a sort of brrrrrt sound? how hard to make cat noises over the internet :hihi:

both my cats make brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr noises at various pitchs...very cute! One of them also meeeeeeeees a lot..we say that he's singing as he always seems to do it when he's sat outside on the fence :hihi:

Is it a sort of brrrrrt sound? how hard to make cat noises over the internet :hihi:

Yes, it could be described as a 'brrrrrt!' sound. A bit like an old-fashioned telephone ringing sometimes too.

I've never known a cat with so much personality, sometimes we can have what could be construed as conversation with her, albeit neither one of us having much clue what the other's saying :hihi:

Yes, it could be described as a 'brrrrrt!' sound. A bit like an old-fashioned telephone ringing sometimes too.

I've never known a cat with so much personality, sometimes we can have what could be construed as conversation with her, albeit neither one of us having much clue what the other's saying :hihi:

Then I usually interpret the brrrrrrt as a greeting sound, might be wrong but thats how it seems to me, I love the brrrrrt its so cute :love:

I talk to my cats as well and they talk back either by making sounds or body/facial movements, I don't always know what they mean.... arn't cats great :D

Yes- she does a lot of greeting sounds, and a selection of 'what's that?' noises and a couple of trills that are generally 'that's nice' noises that go along with the purr.

And that's not even touching on the body language, ear movements or eye blinks!

Hehe, Smudge does the brrrrrrrt a lot, especially on greeting and jumping!

If she's jumping onto something the brrrrrt goes from low to high pitch, if she's jumping down off something it goes from high to low :lol:

But I have to say... when I saw the title of your thread I was amazed! I always though one of my cats looked to be part ewok - she has a look of the ewoks and whenever I mention it to people they go 'eh?! What you on about?' :lol:

When I talk to my cat, when I greet him, I do the "brrrut" noise. it sounds like I'm auditioning for a part in "Chairman of the Board" 's song, "Give me just a little more time"!!

My Jazz-cat has a good vocal range. these noiss come especially to the fore when he hears the food tin, "choppping " noises, or a packet/ fridge door being opened. We joke that it's "We're calling his name, but we're speaking with an accent!"

All my cats use the 'brrrt' sound from time to time - I call it 'chirruping'. Merlin and Jesse tend to use it when they're happy or excited; they always greet me with a chirrup, though as Whiskas Temptations tend to elicit the sound far more frequently, I'm well aware of my position in their feline hierarchy of good things.

Dante uses it much more frequently, and seems to use more variants. He chirrups when happy and uses it as a greeting, but he'll also use a 'brrrr' (without the 't') sound in various tones and volumes when he's curious about something, or when he wants something. He'll use it when he wants to jump up onto the desk or onto my knee, for example. Sometimes, we'll simply have a conversation composed of various 'brrrr' and 'brrrt' noises :hihi: .

By the way, posting photographs of Lily is obligatory ;) .

All my cats use the 'brrrt' sound from time to time - I call it 'chirruping'. Merlin and Jesse tend to use it when they're happy or excited; they always greet me with a chirrup, though as Whiskas Temptations tend to elicit the sound far more frequently, I'm well aware of my position in their feline hierarchy of good things.

Dante uses it much more frequently, and seems to use more variants. He chirrups when happy and uses it as a greeting, but he'll also use a 'brrrr' (without the 't') sound in various tones and volumes when he's curious about something, or when he wants something. He'll use it when he wants to jump up onto the desk or onto my knee, for example. Sometimes, we'll simply have a conversation composed of various 'brrrr' and 'brrrt' noises :hihi: .

By the way, posting photographs of Lily is obligatory ;) .

Maine Coons tend to chirrup rather than miaow. Alfie the barmy bengal doesnt do miaow- he YOWLS (top volume), but he brrts when you call him say if to say 'wassup?', as do our other cats.