Spear and Jackson Saville St

Whats the place like now as opposed to the old factory?

The Saville St site is a Ford motor car sales. I went in last year and tried to work out the old plan of the site. Where and when did you work there?

My Dad worked there in late 30's 40's and 50's and I suppose into the 60's, he worked in the warehouse shipping the circular saws around the world and that's where he met my Mom at Spears.

The Saville St site is a Ford motor car sales. I went in last year and tried to work out the old plan of the site. Where and when did you work there?

-----------

There use to be a loverly fish/chip shop opposite that site and a

pub, just can't remember it on Norfolk Bridge.

Most of my relatives worked there in the 70s in the W Department, used to frequent the Albion at lunch

-----------

There use to be a loverly fish/chip shop opposite that site and a

pub, just can't remember it on Norfolk Bridge.

I think the pub was "The Plumpers" but I could be wrong.

I think the pub was "The Plumpers" but I could be wrong.

----------

Thanks for your reply friend and yes it was Plumpers and that chip/ shop

was a few doors away. :thumbsup:

Most of my relatives worked there in the 70s in the W Department, used to frequent the Albion at lunch

The pub was The Albert not Albion

message for Tonio, some years back you posted some photo's of the Melting shop, and you mentioned Barrie Wragg had some of the Mill in its last days, I was at Spears Ind. from '70 to '78 and was recently talking to a friend who's involved with Kelham Island, as a lad I used to take visitors around the plant so knew all the departments back to front...and they want to make a record of what we did there from steel making to shipping finished saws out to the jungle...! If you have any pictures I would be very grateful and make sure everyone involved is credited.

Cheers Paul Ward ( Technical Apprentice.! 1970) Development Dept.

message for Tonio, some years back you posted some photo's of the Melting shop, and you mentioned Barrie Wragg had some of the Mill in its last days, I was at Spears Ind. from '70 to '78 and was recently talking to a friend who's involved with Kelham Island, as a lad I used to take visitors around the plant so knew all the departments back to front...and they want to make a record of what we did there from steel making to shipping finished saws out to the jungle...! If you have any pictures I would be very grateful and make sure everyone involved is credited.

Cheers Paul Ward ( Technical Apprentice.! 1970) Development Dept.

P M me with your e mail address or Phone Number

----------

Thanks for your reply friend and yes it was Plumpers and that chip/ shop

was a few doors away. :thumbsup:

The 'Plumpers' and the 'Albert' were the two pubs near there. Both on opposite corners of Greystock Street and Sutherland Street. 'Plumpers' was on the 'S&J' side. The chip shop was on the other side of Sutherland Street nearer to Norfolk Bridge and opposite the end of Corby Street.