Spear and Jackson Saville St

HI

i am surprised that no body has mentioned David Marriott, while i was idling my time away i came across this ROGER SAWTELL MA JP, served an engineering apprenticeship at English Electric Ltd., Rugby and then worked for sixteen years in the steel industry in Sheffield, latterly a Deputy Managing Director of Spear and Jackson Ltd., tool and steelmakers. In 1967 he returned to Clare College, Cambridge, to spend a term reading theology and then visited an industrial Kibbutz in Israel, coming back to this country fired with determination to develop a business owned and controlled by the people working in it. This became Trylon Ltd., now a leading supplier of plastics to schools and internationally known for glassfibre canoe construction.

He left Trylon after seven years and spent the following five years as a consultant to newly-emerging industrial co-operatives. He was also one of the first members of the national Co-operative Development Agency in 1978. In 1980 he returned to co-operative employment as elected manager of a new business in the food industry, Daily Bread Co-operative Ltd., which now has a working group of fifteen people and a turnover of £1⁄2m.

Roger Sawtell's fifteen years experience as a founder member and manager of two successful industrial co-operatives is probably unique in the UK. He is a practising manager, committed to the Christian faith and to the co-operative concept of democratic control of the business by those who work in.

always wondered what happened to him, there were one or two rumours why he left (nothing bad i hasten to add)

Hi,

Does anyone remember my grandmother Gertrud Lycett who also worked at Spear and Jackson mid 50's (I have a photo of her there which is from 1957) I'd be very interested to know anything about her work there. I also knew Ron Longhurst who worked there while my nan was there too, but not sure exactly when.

I have a couple of photos from around that time if anyone is interested.

Hi,

Does anyone remember my grandmother Gertrud Lycett who also worked at Spear and Jackson mid 50's (I have a photo of her there which is from 1957) I'd be very interested to know anything about her work there. I also knew Ron Longhurst who worked there while my nan was there too, but not sure exactly when.

I have a couple of photos from around that time if anyone is interested.

Love to see them. Put them on.

Hi, apparently I have to submit 5 or more posts before I can post photos, will update you with them as soon as I can.

Thanks

does any one remember ARTHUR HILLBERT? melter in 70's true gentleman. i worked in melting shop from 1974 -1978. tony horton, alan clarke, fred stanbrough and all the rest from that time. hard work but enjoyed every minute.

does any one remember ARTHUR HILLBERT? melter in 70's true gentleman. i worked in melting shop from 1974 -1978. tony horton, alan clarke, fred stanbrough and all the rest from that time. hard work but enjoyed every minute.

I remember him well. Other melters were Frank Huteson and Billy Bradley. I started as a chemist in1957 and became a steel maker in 1964 and left in 1969 Other old timers were Sam French, Burma Jim, Tom Bailey The Jubb brothers, Crooner etc. Ken Marsden was melting manager and another steel maker was Don Sykes.

---------- Post added 27-01-2014 at 00:25 ----------

If you go to post 52 on page 3 there are some photos of the melting melting shop, including one of Arthur. These were taken in 1961.

thanks for sharing the photo's, i was a ladle man up to 1974 and loved it, including the plumpers pub run's.

Hi Tony worked at Spears 1954 to 1986, i remember the 50,s &60,s, which i thought the best years. i remember you & Janet well, I worked in the heat treament (better known as hardening shop). all the names have been flooding back as i have read the replies.

I worked in the warehouse at SJ in1960 painting garden tools and dipping handles in varnish .our manager was Bill scott .we moved from there to Skeltons at heeley I left in 1965 to have my first baby.my name then was ann glaves.happy days

I worked in the warehouse at SJ in1960 painting garden tools and dipping handles in varnish .our manager was Bill scott .we moved from there to Skeltons at heeley I left in 1965 to have my first baby.my name then was ann glaves.happy days

Hi Ann

Do you remember the sports room at lunchtime. Table tennis, snooker, and rock and roll to the Dansette record player.

yes we all went in there at lunch time bopping away to cliff and elvis.also we used to run past the mill and the men used to wolf whistle after us.them were the days

Anyone remember George (paddy) Wheelhouse,he worked at s&j,saville st. for years,but i moved to Canada,we always kept in touch.We went through school together,roller skating in Attercliffe with friends etc.Saw him last year when i was over,andwe both celebrated our 78th birthdays (one week apart) at the beginning of april this year,wonderful memories.clydedale

I knew gary elmer at spears, I also knew danny, worked with gary until he had that last accident, one of a few. He was a good welder and he made work a lot more interesting. went to crazy daisy a couple of times with gary and danny. good times . hope danny is ok, if you see him give him my regards. cheers

---------- Post added 28-06-2015 at 00:09 ----------

My Dad worked at Spear & Jackson. I'm not entirely sure what he did, but he was a welder by trade. His name was Les France if anyone remembers him.

Hi frenchie. Your dad was one of the maintenance welder/fabricators at spears. I was an apprentice of his. Really nice bloke, by how you've phrased it im presuming hes not with us anymore. sorry to hear that. he used to tell me what train was going over our heads by the tune radio hallam was playing. he moved on to teach the trade at college I think.

Regards frank

---------- Post added 28-06-2015 at 00:10 ----------

A good friend of our used to work there till he was killed on his motorbike Gary elmer had a brother called danny

I knew gary elmer at spears, I also knew danny, worked with gary until he had that last accident, one of a few. He was a good welder and he made work a lot more interesting. went to crazy daisy a couple of times with gary and danny. good times . hope danny is ok, if you see him give him my regards. cheers