Spear and Jackson Saville St

Did anyone work at Spears 1955 to 1975

Do you remember the Bicentenary when Workers Playtime came from S&J

Janet Alexa: My Dad, Ted Higgins worked there as an instrument technician before we came to Canada in 1965; sadly he passed away in 1992

Hi Tony. I worked in the chemi lab from about 1966/67. were you there then?

I started in chemi lab in 1957 and went to be a shift manager in the melting shop in 1964 I moved away in 1968. Harry Broadhead was chief chemist and Dick Brookes was Chief Metalurgist. There was a female chemist called Beryl who lived in Ecclesfield.Another chemist was called Lyn Taylor

I met my wife at Spears and she had a friend called Janet Hutson who married Graham Gibson. We,for years, have been trying to contact Janet without success. Any help would be appreciated.

Tonio

Janet Alexa: My Dad, Ted Higgins worked there as an instrument technician before we came to Canada in 1965; sadly he passed away in 1992

Hi Janet

I remember your dad Ted,thin face and glasses.I think he worked at English Steel before S&J. I remember him getting a "Posh Car". A maroon Singer Gazelle.

He was the the instigator of us all joining the union.

I hope had a good life in Canada.

Tonio

OMG! you are absolutely correct, he looked the same right up until he passed away at 65 from heart problems, yes you are right he did buy a Singer, in maroon & cream. Yes he had a good life in Canada, bought a couple of nice boats that he used to go fishing in (his passion) He had a good job in Canada and started a union there too! My mom is still alive she turned 80 last year and is still very independant, living in her own home and still drives. My husband and I go to Sheffield every year to visit family, love my life in Canada but still a Yorkshire lass at heart !

my in laws cyril and joan wyatt both worked there,both took redundacy in 82,my aunty,joyce glasby,also worked there in the 60,s.

My Dad, Jimmy Ould, was I think a teamer at S&J. Was the Bicentenary in 1960 or around that date? I seem to remember going on a visit and saw my Dad actually working - at about 8 years old I was thrilled to bits. I remember it being a very happy occasion with a party.

My Dad, Jimmy Ould, was I think a teamer at S&J. Was the Bicentenary in 1960 or around that date? I seem to remember going on a visit and saw my Dad actually working - at about 8 years old I was thrilled to bits. I remember it being a very happy occasion with a party.

You are right. 1760 to 1960

Your dad was a ladleman teamer.I was a steelmaker and he worked for me. We all knew him as "Burma Jim" a reference to his time in W.W.2 I think. He was a gentle giant of a man both in stature and nature and was well liked by all. He liked a flutter and I remember him once losing £5,a lot of money in those days,on a general election result.

Tonio

Thank you Tonio, it's lovely that someone remembers him. I reckon he must have bet on the Conservatives winning!!

His father served in the British Army and was stationed in India/Burma, Dad lived out there (apart from returning for schooling in England) until 1952. His career had been in the Burma Railways where he had been a controller, of course when he returned to the UK he had to get any available job. He left a well paid, high status job and a house with servants to labouring in the steelworks. He just got on with life and coped with constant pain from injuries received during internment by the Japanese. He could be a larger than life character at times, a terrible flirt. He died in 1988 just a week before his 80th birthday having had a life well lived.

I remember a party it was at Roxy's,guest of honour was ted ray

we had a bufet there. :hihi:

my job was to examin bars for defaults in the wherehouse

my foreman was lou robinson

also joe scarbourgh the sheffield artist was working there at the same time

we also had a chap who job was working on crackdetecter and radiac who

we nicknamed bits and pieces reason being he was allways chopping his

finger ends off

Edited by bob1948

My late husband Terry Ellis worked at Spears he was a Saw Smither and served his apprenticeship at S & J's and worked their up to being made redundant his father also worked as a press operator his name was Sid Ellis I remember going to the bi-centenary and at night going to the dance at the Cutlers Hall

Hi my Father Graham Moffatt worked there I think he made saw blades will have been around 1975ish. He lived on Pitsmoor

Hi Tony worked at Spears 1954 to 1986, i remember the 50,s &60,s, which i thought the best years. i remember you & Janet well, I worked in the heat treament (better known as hardening shop). all the names have been flooding back as i have read the replies.