Booze Cruise - Calais

You could try the mini cruise from Hull, doing two for one at the moment about £79 for two people twin cabin included, theres plenty of entertainment and they provide a bus into brugge for the day, also one stop on the train takes you into oostende for all your cheap goods.

Another educated post.

Why is it that some people on here can't post without making themselves look complete idiots?

Just to humour you, I would not charge myself for driving myself there and back and also, I am sure I could quite easily last 55 minutes on a ferry without having to eat crap

When I do make the journey, with all my expenses taken into account and the products I buy, I save myself just over a thousand pounds on English prices.

Believe that or not, that is your prerogative.

I came onto this thread to offer some advice, which is what the OP was after.

Not on buying beer, you won't.

Not on buying beer, you won't.

A return ticket on the ferry is £35, if you just drive up the road a bit further when you get to Calais you will come to Adinkerke, a small town over the Belgian border, you can stock up with fags or bacca there and will save well over the cost of the ferry, fuel and food.

I will be going myself in the next couple of weeks, beer isnt that much cheaper than the supermarkets over here, but the wine is a good bit cheaper, and you can taste it before you buy.

So, in short, if you buy the right stuff then it is well worth it.

Thats right, thats why I said that the main saving is on the fags and bacca in Belgium and also if you are going all that way you aint going to just get half a dozen bottles of wine, so 100 bottles at a couple of quid cheaper is a saving of £200

There is no limit as to how much you bring back to England from the EEC, there is however guidelines and even by sticking to the guidelines you will save well over the expense of going. I have been pulled many a time for having 120 packets of tobacco and they have always had to let me go through because it isnt classed as exceptional.

One packet over there is roughly £4, over here it is roughly £12 saving me £8 per pack, that is some saving on 120 packs, not to mention the drink that I bring back.

As I say, if you stick close to the guidelines then you wont be bothered too much by the customs.

The ones you saw may have been going over every day getting a van full each time, they are the ones that the customs watch.

I dont know about you Happy Hippy, but a saving of a thousand pounds is worth nearly a weeks wages to me so its not to be sniffed at, It might not be much money to you, but I would call it more than a minimal saving.

I dont know about you Happy Hippy, but a saving of a thousand pounds is worth nearly a weeks wages to me so its not to be sniffed at, It might not be much money to you, but I would call it more than a minimal saving.

So clearly you agree that on beer, you won't save much, or even anything when taking into account the expenses.

So clearly you agree that on beer, you won't save much, or even anything when taking into account the expenses.

I would say, as I have done twice now, that beer is probably no cheaper than the supermarkets here in England.

Edit..thats thrice now.

I would say, as I have done twice now, that beer is probably no cheaper than the supermarkets here in England.

Precisely, so why argue about it, old bean?

Precisely, so why argue about it, old bean?

What?

I have never said anywhere that it was cheaper.

Is half of my writing invisible?

I have said all along that the biggest saving is on tobacco and then also a fair bit can be saved on wine, I would have thought that with you being a moderator you would be for people giving the advice to people asking for it.

What?

I have never said anywhere that it was cheaper.

Is half of my writing invisible?

I have said all along that the biggest saving is on tobacco and then also a fair bit can be saved on wine, I would have thought that with you being a moderator you would be for people giving the advice to people asking for it.

I am indeed. I said that you won't make that sort of saving on beer, and you went on to a rant, which seemed daft as we agree.

We’re thinking of throwing a party next year for about 70 people. I was going to just stock up on beer and wine as the weeks went by but then thought about doing a booze cruise.

Anyone done one? Do you save much?

We would be travelling from Sheffield to Dover and would be taking either up to the maximum legal amount back or the maximum the car would hold (Citroen Picasso with seats out).

We were mainly looking at wine (none of that French stuff though - New World is the preference); Champagne - about 15 - 20 bottles; and beer and lager.

When we last went on holiday to France you could buy 25cl bottles of lager in a case of 24 for about 6 Euros. Champagne was less that 20 euros for a known brand. Couldn’t get new world wine at the supermarkets though.

I’ve looked at a few of the Calais supermarket websites and the prices don’t seem to be as good as I thought they would be.

So, anyone else been and was it worthwhile?

Cheers :partyhat:

G

If you take the advice of someone who knows and buy the right things then there are good savings to be had.

Good Luck to you if you decide to go ;)

I am indeed. I said that you won't make that sort of saving on beer, and you went on to a rant, which seemed daft as we agree.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

A rant?

Bye :wave:

Another educated post.

Why is it that some people on here can't post without making themselves look complete idiots?

Just to humour you, I would not charge myself for driving myself there and back and also, I am sure I could quite easily last 55 minutes on a ferry without having to eat crap

When I do make the journey, with all my expenses taken into account and the products I buy, I save myself just over a thousand pounds on English prices.

Believe that or not, that is your prerogative.

I came onto this thread to offer some advice, which is what the OP was after.

Just shows how thick you really are, its going to take at least 12 hours for the trip and you are not going to eat anything? If you are only buying brooze you be lucky to save £200 if you fill your car to the brim whats the point:loopy::loopy::loopy:

there's been more than few total saddos over the years that are so obssessed with saving themselves a miserable few quid, and of course thinking that they're getting one over on the system, that they pack too much crappy wine or rubbish beer, overload their vehicles, and mess up their suspension. From 1992, when the SEM started until higher fuel prices and then appreciation of the Euro kicked in, was the time to do this, and even then it was a lot better if you were based in southern England than if you were somewhere like Sheffield.