Rising Sun pool, Bamford

I went to a friend's 10th or possibly 11th birthday party to rising sun pool in 1974 or 75. It was indoors but the whole of one side could be opened up so had an outdoor feel, and yes there was a diving board. We then had to walk back to my friends in Hathersage. We were knackered by the time we'd done.

Edited by NewBiz

I swam there one Sunday in the late 60's

Will never forget that occasion, as my eyes and everyone else's eyes were streaming because of an excessive amount of chlorine in the water.

The blue trunks I was wearing almost turned white !

Yes we used this pool when we were kids. I only recently learned that my Grandfather excavated the pool by hand with pick and shovel with one other man in the 20s .

Regarding the swimming pool at the Rising Sun,  it was built by Hodkin and Jones from Queens road in Sheffield, my Grandfathers company built the Rising Sun pre war the same time as the pool. The center secton of Rising Sun was burnt down in 1953 and I worked on the rebuild. Mrs Holt was the owner at that time and her sister was owner of the pub at the top of Carterknowle road in Sheffield. I also worked on the Girl Guides  building ( Glenbrook ) next door, opened by Princess Margeret who wanted ice in her gin and tonic!.

Know Hathersage out door pool well but don't remember the Rising Sun one.

I think driving the Mam Tor road is like those of us who remember driving up the Moor.

We used to have (unofficial)(motorcycle) time trials up Winnat's and ride back down the old Mam Tor road.

The last time i drove over it was in a Reliant, the road was all but shut as there was so much bodging going on it was 

barely passable.

Once drove the same Reliant down Wyming Brooke to get onto Manchester road, that was fun to say the least coz it sure ain't a proper road.

What happened to Wyming brook as a tourist destination? the last house used to sell refreshments from its stable door and buss's would be full of city dwellers out for a day in the country. 

Happy Daze.

Keep safe.

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

I ‘m sure that following the demolition of the ‘Riser’ that the new 78 room hotel providing circa 50 jobs will have a pool, maybe two.

I remember driving from Newark

for a sunday lunch at the rising sun, and the children were allowed to use the swimming pool, must have been the late 70's or early 80's. Also breaking the journey on a trip from Scotland in the hope of an overnight stay. Sadly they were fully booked but suggested the hotel a few hundred yards over the road where i spent a wonderfull night in a pannelledl bedroom entirely furnished with satinwood furniture (what a night but that was another tale.) In the morning there was myself and a young lady in an entirely empty hotel ,a cold breakfast laid out and my bill on the reception desk.   I paid and finished my journey >.  Still keep in touch with the "dream girl"