Rising Sun pool, Bamford

Does anyone remember the swimming pool that used to be next door to The Rising Sun, on the Castleton Road (A625) between Hathersage and Hope? It used to be open to the public and was a superb location for a swim.

My family went around 1976 and I think it had a diving board. I seem to think it was totally open-air with lawns for sunbathing on. Yes, I agree it sounds more like the Costa Brava than Derbyshire but it was definitely there and I always thought it was a shame that it closed down.

Was it a separate entity to the pub next door? Or was it part of the Rising Sun itself? And whilst in this neck of the woods: Does anyone remember travelling up the road beneath Mam Tor before it was closed to traffic? It's the only road I know that looks a smoother ride than Redmires Road!! (Joking)

Yes, this pool was owned by the Rising Sun, but it has had many changes of ownership over the years, the pool at Hathersage was upgraded, and this became more popular than the Rising Sun with locals.

I can remember driving up Mam Tor in the 1960's, the road finally colapsed in the 70's I believe, it was always known to us as shivering mountain, as slips took place quite regularly, the entire sub-strata is shale, which is highly unstable.

I remember cycling up the road below Mam Tor in the 1960's. I'm not sure which was the most "interesting" way to get to Sparrowpit and beyond - Mam Tor or the Winnats!

Originally posted by little malc

Yes, this pool was owned by the Rising Sun, but it has had many changes of ownership over the years, the pool at Hathersage was upgraded, and this became more popular than the Rising Sun with locals.

I can remember driving up Mam Tor in the 1960's, the road finally colapsed in the 70's I believe, it was always known to us as shivering mountain, as slips took place quite regularly, the entire sub-strata is shale, which is highly unstable.

Is the pool at Hathersage a seperate pool than the one next to the Rising sun, I hear the one at Hathersage is still open.

Hathersage pool is open and going strong, the one that used to be at Rising Sun is three miles away at Bamford, on the road towards Hope.

Originally posted by little malc

Hathersage pool is open and going strong, the one that used to be at Rising Sun is three miles away at Bamford, on the road towards Hope.

Yeah I know where that is but where is the one in Hathersage.

The pool at Hathersage is a few minutes walk away from Hathersage rail station on Oddfellows Rad. (see link below)

I believe the pool closes down from September until the following spring but if you're feeling brave they usually open Boxing Day for the hardy few who dare to try. Not tried it myself yet but who knows.

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&GridE=-1.65187230403712&GridN=53.3307591163379&lon=-1.65187230403712&lat=53.3307591163379&GridN=53.3307591163379&GridE=-1.65187230403712&db=GB&cidr_client=none&lang=&place=+Main+Road,+S32,+HATHERSAGE&pc=&advanced=&client=public&addr2=main+road&quicksearch=main+road+hathersage&addr3=+hathersage&scale=5000&addr1=

The pool at the Rising sun still exists although under private ownership.I worked at the hotel in the eighties and the owner of the time had just sold the pool and a bit of land to a chap that built a house on it.

I think it's been sold a couple of times since then and there's more than 1 house there now.The reason the pool was sold was that it needed re-lining as it was letting water from the surrounding land in!This made it impossible to get a hygeine certificate for public use without spending far more than it would ever recoup,after all you'd be lucky if you could use it for more than a couple of months a year as the building/roof had to be taken down as it was unsafe,

There were other problems as far as I remember regarding filtration and taking so long to clean and re-fill (again for public use) that simply made it uneconomical to run as a business venture,but ok for private use.

My son and his partner went to have a swim at Hathersage pool in the recent spell of good weather (Sunday) but there was a lengthy queue and they were only letting season-ticket holders in, the others had to wait so they didn't bother.

They used to open on Friday/Saturday nights about 11.00pm. Used to go to the disco at the Marquis of Granby first then on to the Rising Sun pool.

I swam there in about 1970. At that time  it was an indoor pool. I'm fairly sure that the pool was enclosed some time in the 1960s. The pool itself was not tiled but painted concrete.

The Gregg School (Sheffield) held their swimming gala at both of these pools.I have driven the Mam Tor road quite a few times before its closure and used tp walk up Winnats pass from castleton to The Wanted Inn at Sparrowpit when I worked there.(all many ,many years ago!!!😀