£60 well spent

Originally posted by alex123

Thechap asked,"What is this country coming to ?"

Well, whatever it is ,it's been coming to it for a long time now----partly under the Tories but mainly under the Labour government.I think the "great British public "are largely to blame for letting successive governments walk all over them.There's a Germanic streak at work.Too many people in the U.K. nowadays love having someone to tell them what to do and ,in turn, love telling someone else what to do.

Any dictatorship can find "good" reasons for bringing in repressive,interfering laws.Each individual new law does have its positive side.....but ....the cumulative effect is dictatorship and then further repression.

The public seem too thick to realise that it's "o.k. " to give a fairly moderate government full powers but what happens if,later on, an extreme Right-wing or Left--wing government gets in. What seems like a Nanny state now will seem paradise compared to what could happen.

So, all you ,sheep who want more and more red--tape,rules and regulations, more controls,no smoking,no drinking, no this,no that----think about the future andthe 4a.m. knock on the door !

Go back to bed.

Originally posted by Yodameister

I can't see the connection between the two issues.

Are you suggesting that because there are some offences that the police struggle to deal with that you should be able to break speed limits with impunity?

I think it's more that if the police spent more time dealing with "chavs" and less time hounding motorists, the country would be a safer place to live.

Originally posted by cloud

Is that the advice from your driving instructor then...?

no, from my parents :lol::hihi:

Originally posted by t020

I think it's more that if the police spent more time dealing with "chavs" and less time hounding motorists, the country would be a safer place to live.

I half agree with you there t020.

The police should spend more time dealing with worse crimes than speeding committed by ANYONE (not just chavs, but chavs in this case).

They shouldn't spend any less time hounding motorists though, I think it's about right as it is....

Originally posted by Wavey

straight up.. 36mph.. I can't believe how bad I was that night.

If you can't pay the fine don't do the crime. Speding kills.

I agree with your other point though. The police should be much better ast catching thugs and the courts should realise the value of prisons a lot more than they do.

Is your mate's son ok????

I bet more people are killed and injured by speeding motorists than chavs.

Originally posted by Shine

I bet that more people would want to kill a chav than a speeding motorist.

Wavey.

I hope your mates lad makes a full recovery and goes on to become a brilliant sportsman.

And I hope that these louts who did this despicable deed grow up to see the inside of a prison cell, as I am sure many will.

Yes you wronged by going about 5 mph over the speed limit BUT

how can anyone compare that attack and breaking the speed limit to each other.

Yodameister,

maybe you should open your eyes and see the yob culture that is happening in this city, maybe not in Longley but in many areas of this city.

How can you compare the two "crimes"???? It looks like you are standing up for these chavs or maybe relate to them as "bored kids".

I agree with Wavey and many others adding to this thread. Something has to be done on the priority rating of crimes. The longer we let people get away with it, the more intense the problem will become.

Originally posted by Yodameister

I can't see the connection between the two issues.

Are you suggesting that because there are some offences that the police struggle to deal with that you should be able to break speed limits with impunity?

yeah maybe wavey strayed over the speed limit. he didn't intentionally set out to hurt anyone. the %$£$" who set on his mate's son did. i personally think the police should focus on this type of crime not someone who'd rather look at the road ahead, than at his speedometer. can't you see the guy's upset? give him a break. hope the little lad get's through O.K. mate. Nick .

Originally posted by slimsid2000

If you can't pay the fine don't do the crime. Speding kills.

wrong wrong wrong. bad driving kills. inappropriate use of speed is bad driving. not having full control of car is bad driving (ie the advert where the car hits the child, no attempt to "pump" the brakes)not paying full attention to the road is bad driving. (i.e mobile phone) so me doing 90 mph on a well lit, dry dual carridge way is going to kill someone? but i'm ok doing 29mph past a school in a car i cant really control because i cant use my left leg due to authritus, or cos i've got 1 hand on my mobile???? there's no camera to detect this as far as i know

Originally posted by Shine

Speeding is only the 7th highest factor in killing people on the roads, the main factor being driver error. Don't get me wrong, I rarely speed, but it's safe to say that people who do make easy pickings for the police because most of them are otherwise law abiding citizens, whereas trying to tackle anti-social youths on rough estates would be a bit more tricky. "Chavs" need clamping down on more than people going a few MPH over the limit IMO.