Should I have found this disturbing?

How do you hammer on a door bell

you stand in front of it and press it repeatedly.

if you want to try it with a hammer, by all means, go out your front door and do so.

and of course, remember to leave your keys behind in case someone steals them.

a little over half an hour ago, i had someone hammer on my doorbell, and before i got to the door, they were hammering on my back door (which you have to past the motor, and through a gate to do)

on opening the door i find a rather rotund gentleman, and a white truck outside the front with "Alpine Landscapes" written on it.

he offers to trim my conifers, and clear out some rubbish from the back, which i poitely declined.

now, i just find his wandering round the back of the house downright suspicious to be honest, as is his cash-in-hand request for work. there were two large gents in the truck, and i guess if they'd done some work local, then i suppose they might be right that my conifers need trimming, but anyone else had this bunch knock on there doors in the last couple of days??

what's anyone else think? i'm on the shiregreen estate, and i just found it a bit off-putting....

what area do you live in as I've just seen a very similar looking van outside our elderly neighbours house (Walkey Bank)

This sounds like a common scam whereby a small amount of work is quoted for then when 'done' a larger price is demanded for 'unforseen labour'. Also going round the back is a common way of seing what you've got. I'm sorry to say that these people tend to target the elderley and vulnerable and I plead with people to watch out for their elderly neighbours....they are getting ripped off every day.

A legitimate gardening business will not go knocking for business demanding cash in hand.

I ask that the op contacts the police with all available info.