Should I have found this disturbing?

a little over half an hour ago, i had someone hammer on my doorbell, and before i got to the door, they were hammering on my back door (which you have to past the motor, and through a gate to do)

on opening the door i find a rather rotund gentleman, and a white truck outside the front with "Alpine Landscapes" written on it.

he offers to trim my conifers, and clear out some rubbish from the back, which i poitely declined.

now, i just find his wandering round the back of the house downright suspicious to be honest, as is his cash-in-hand request for work. there were two large gents in the truck, and i guess if they'd done some work local, then i suppose they might be right that my conifers need trimming, but anyone else had this bunch knock on there doors in the last couple of days??

what's anyone else think? i'm on the shiregreen estate, and i just found it a bit off-putting....

oh yeah, i also cannot find an "Alpine Landscapes" locally either...

Sounds dodgy to me, was the van just a dodgy van or a business van?:suspect:

like a cut off van with a flatbed and some ladders on it...

OK, i found an "Alpine Landscapes" in Donny, but no answer. might be legit, and it's not *what* he offered, just the way he did it y'know?

Definitely sounds a bit iffy to me. I routinely refuse any offers of work like that (and carpet offcuts, the last bit of tarmac etc) because if I want anything doing I'll ask the businesses to come round and quote. I don't like being cold called.

Cold Calling is illegal too .. call your local trading standards and tell them ...

Col ...

a little over half an hour ago, i had someone hammer on my doorbell, ??

I wouldnt hire him to do anything if he hasnt got his head around the basics yet

I had exactly the same the other week - offering to cut my connifers - These were called "Price" very similar description though.

I wish more people would report these workmen to trading standards.. you might have the sense to say no but sometimes they prey on the old n vulnerable ...

Col ..

well, the truck *did* have a logo and name on it, but i'm sure the number was some 0800 number, rather than the number i *have* found in doncaster.

i mean, my automatic assumption is they're dodgy, and i refuse any cold calling anyway, it's just the way he went round the back without waiting, like he was casing the place....?

well, the truck *did* have a logo and name on it, but i'm sure the number was some 0800 number, rather than the number i *have* found in doncaster.

i mean, my automatic assumption is they're dodgy, and i refuse any cold calling anyway, it's just the way he went round the back without waiting, like he was casing the place....?

Sounds to me like the company is legit but they work for the company and had a spare couple of hours to make some cash in hand for the weekend ... either way its still illegal what they did ..

Col ..