Dogs and mints?

normal mints contain sugar so not really good for the dogs teeth...sugar free mints contain sorbitol that acts as a laxative.so not good to givem those either really.

I know from experience that one or two of the sugar free ones don't have any noticeable effects on dogs (from a laxative point of view at least- they make their breath smell much better though!). One of my friends has a dog who will scent out mints in a sealed packet inside a handbag that's in a different room and make the biggest fuss in the world until you let her eat one.

I agree cosywolf, sorbitol ,Xylitol all the sugar subtitues cant be any good really.

Thanks its just that I had 3 left and they've gone off my side so think my cheeky dog Yoda has nicked em, They were the cool mint variety. Looks like I'm gonna have to keep anymore I get under lock & key. Mind you knowing him he'll probably find em.

Sorry for bringing this thread back up but...

Zeus has just ripped open a packet of those XXX extrastrong mints - the hard ones, like trebor ones. Does anyone know if theyre safe/harmful? Hes only had one of them but he really enjoyed it! And his breath is no long pongy :| Its not something I plan on giving him regular, but once a week or so if it wont really do any harm? Hes a 2yo staffie to those who dont know :)

Thanks people!x

The occasional mint is not likely to be a problem unless it's got one of the dangerous sweeteners in.

The sugar's not good for his teeth though.

Whats classed as dangerous though? Everything contradicts itself on the internet - from what ive read anyhows. One says yes the other says no to everything ive looked at :lol: I know to trust the pet owners judgement now though, :)

One of our collies has destroyed clothing to get to a packet of mints in the past, we checked with the vet after he ate a family bag of mint imperials. The vet said it was not the best thing for him to have but did not feel that odd ones would do him any harm, if he was having them daily and in regular large amounts he would have been concerned. He did mention 2 kinds of sweetner tho that we should watch for but I cannot remember the names.

My dog picks up old chewing gum off the floor, he must like the taste of mint.

lol silly bugger, why would he want to eat mints? At least he'll have fresh breath but could'nt recommend allowing him to eat them as above, Sorbitol makes em pooh and sugar bad for teeth x