Hatton vs Mayweather

Much as I like Hatton, I think those people who claim he will win relatively easily have never seen Floyd fight!

I think Ricky may lose on cuts. Certainly, if he hasnt won by round 6 I think he might struggle.

He has to start battering Mayweathers ribs early on...

Not sure I saw Ricky go for more than a couple of body shots.

Outclassed, simple as that.

Not sure I saw Ricky go for more than a couple of body shots.

Outclassed, simple as that.

Yes, I do agree on this point.

Mayweather was class.... he even said 'i take my hat of too hatton, who's an excellent fighter' but did hatton say anything like that...nope, the guy thinks he's too good!!!

Yes he did at a press conferenece yesterday, he was actually wearing a hat too, so took it off to Floyd!

What will happen to Hatton now' date=' will he have to retire. How did his little brother (Richard I think) do?[/quote']

Ricky's brother Matthew won an 8-rounder on points. No need for Ricky to retire if he doesn't want to. Although he has, over time, won and voluntarily relinquished the IBF(twice) and WBA world light-welter titles, he still holds the IBO one, and the Ring Magazine recognises him as number 1 in the division (he also holds the "linear - man who beat the man" title). So he is still top dog in his own division, just lost to a guy a division above.

Very few top fighters have never lost. Ali lost, Sugar Ray Robinson lost, Sugar Ray Leanard lost, Roberto Duran and Thomas Hearns lost. He has lost one fight, that's all.

On a sporting level there are still excellent fights for Ricky at light-welter, including against Bradford's WBC champion Junior Witter (the Welshman Gavin Rees holds the WBA belt too), and against IBF champion Paulie Malignaggi, which could easily sell out the likes of Madison Square Garden.

From a business point of view though a match with Oscar de la Hoya at Welter would probably make more money. Even though both have lost to Mayweather.

On a sporting level there are still excellent fights for Ricky at light-welter, including against Bradford's WBC champion Junior Witter (the Welshman Gavin Rees holds the WBA belt too), and against IBF champion Paulie Malignaggi, which could easily sell out the likes of Madison Square Garden.

From a business point of view though a match with Oscar de la Hoya at Welter would probably make more money. Even though both have lost to Mayweather.

The Witter fight is a dangerous fight for Hatton, IMO. Although I think Hatton is by far and away the better fighter of the two, Witter is a slippy customer and could make Hatton look bad, and after what happened on Sunday he needs at least a good performance to make up for the defeat to Mayweather.

Witter is dangerous but doesn't sell tickets. Malignaggi is probably less dangerous and sells tickets. De la Hoya is fairly dangerous and sells shedloads. It is a balance of sporting challenge with business.

Witter is dangerous but doesn't sell tickets. Malignaggi is probably less dangerous and sells tickets. De la Hoya is fairly dangerous and sells shedloads. It is a balance of sporting challenge with business.

I think Hatton would actually do well against an over the hill De la Hoya. I dont think De la Hoya would be as confident as Mayweather at fighting close in, and I reckon Hattons body punching would be more telling against him.

My main concern would be that Hatton looked lightweight against Mayweather, and I think potentially De la Hoya would simply 'out-muscle' him.

The lightest de la Hoya could get down to would be welterweight, so Ricky would be giving weight away again. Remember too that de la Hoya went the distance with Mayweather just this year, so he may be past his best but I wouldn't call him "over the hill".

Business wise, de la Hoya has to be the best earner, but sporting wise I would rather see Ricky fighting Malignaggi, Torres or Witter.

De La Hoya would dwarf Hatton. Hatton is small for a light-welter. I don't know what he's thinking trying to arrange a fight with a light middle such as DLH. Apparently by fight time with FMJ DLH weighed 160 lbs.

Witter, as a counter punching southpaw, would cause him real problems and would be a great fight. But I reckon he should fight Malignaggi. Easy money and a big US crowd.

(I put this on the wrong thread)

I think I must have been drunk, I eventually came off the fence and bet on the fight to be drawn at the odds of 22-1.

What a waste of £5, I should have known better.

I have just watched the fight on the BBC & I have to say Ricky lost his cool,not content with having to fight Mayweather he had to fight the referee,I have seen many fight's over the last 40 odd years & I have never seen such poor refereeing,it was like watching a heavy weight fight,Mayweather was clever using his elbow's,his shoulder standing side on,it is the American way of fighting & I have never liked this sort of fighting,but Ricky should have used more body shot's which he is famous for,but he never got the chance,as for the point taken off Ricky it was a joke the punch hit the top rope not Mayweather,at the end of the day Ricky lost his cool & got caught with half a dozen class shot's due to poor covering up.Good luck to Ricky & I wish Mayweather would fight Ricky over here he would find it a lot tougher.And well done to Ricky for getting 3rd place in the BBC sports awards.