What happened to the bridge behind Owlerton Stadium?

the bridge behind owlerton stadium. I do some walks that start at the bottom of herries road just by the bridge which lead around the river and bring you out the back of Owlerton stadium. the end of the walk is the scrap yard with the wierd traffic lights stopping the non-existent traffic.

When I did that walk again this weekend for the first time in a while I discovered the bridge was gone. I'm sure I was in the right place and I hadn't gone mad.:loopy:

Any ideas what happened. I can only think the recent floods have something to do with it.

Yep, it was washed away!

the end of the walk is the scrap yard with the wierd traffic lights stopping the non-existent traffic.

Any ideas what happened. I can only think the recent floods have something to do with it.

These must qualify as the strangest set of traffic lights in the entire country.

It's like a dirt track in the middle of nowhere, leading to a dead end and where there's no traffic.

And yet, there's this set of lights still in operation.

Spooky, huh?

Yep, it was washed away!

It was indeed. You can still cross the river further downstream if you don't mind furtling about in the shrubbery a bit.

Bridge collapse at Hillsborough

hope the link works... use the b4/after link..

Bridge collapse at Hillsborough

hope the link works...

It does madowl. It looks a bit tidier now, but it's still an ex-bridge.

It does madowl. It looks a bit tidier now, but it's still an ex-bridge.
as a kid i played around there i was gob smacked to to it gone...

Another part of Sheffield's heritage is ruined by the council! Don't they know that it's the very Bridge that inspired Simon and Garfunkel to write one of their most famous songs?

It was indeed. You can still cross the river further downstream if you don't mind furtling about in the shrubbery a bit.

Is that allowed in this day and age ?

thats good news. I'll take a look out for it. I turned back towards herries road.

I can't believe the flood was strong enough to wash a bridge away.

Thanks for the info though. Also someones fixed the lights so they don't work anymore. Doesn't look so weird now http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/images/smilies/hihi.gif

:hihi:

Another part of Sheffield's heritage is ruined by the council! Don't they know that it's the very Bridge that inspired Simon and Garfunkel to write one of their most famous songs?

Ah yes "The Boxer" - possibly my favourite of theirs.

Well show me someone who doens't like a furtle in the shrubbery?