Calling all knitting groups. Join the SnB UK blanket!

Who wants to be help with a square  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Who wants to be help with a square

• Id like to help knit a square
    • Id like to help crochet a square
    • No thanks Id like to sit this one out please

You been on the sherry, missus?!

Not yet! Still knitting and drinking plays havoc with my tension! just practicing for tomorrow night......

This is what they want to do with it...

The blanket is part of the UK Stitch & B1tch Day that is being held in London on 10th November. The blanket is being presented to Debbie Stoller, writer of the S&B books and founder of the S&B phenomenon. Our aim is to present Debbie with a blanket showing her the number and variety of knitting groups that have emerged in the UK. We have had a number of responses from groups across the UK and we really hope the blanket will reflect each individual group and be a brilliant work of knitted art!

Did a decision get made about this tonight, Lisa? I think I may have missed it... too busy concentrating on getting the strawberry finished.

Did a decision get made about this tonight, Lisa? I think I may have missed it... too busy concentrating on getting the strawberry finished.

Um no not really:blush: I think we can do it being that its only 2 20 cm squares, but we need someone to get their design head on dont we? Shall we do one of our squares using up some of the oddments of sock yarn that we all have - we must have plenty? We need to know what sort of thickness we are using to get a design dont we? I have never designed anything myself so dont really know:o As we dont have a logo we cant do one of those:S Anyone with some design ideas?:huh:

We could each knit a few rows of the square or squares, then we could each sew a personal design on to the square or squares. Either a flower or a zig zag pattern or whatever we want. Right then. LisaH, are you going to knit the first few rows of the square and then will you be able to pass it onto someone else to do the next few? Could the square be in different colours and textures of yarn? This could be a good way of using up that little bit of yarn you have left from something that was so so lovely......

If you would like to help with this could you fill in the poll. Ive put 2 options for you to be involved - either to knit or crochet. Id like an idea of haw many people want to do it so that we can plan how much each person needs to do (if that makes sense). If someone can think of something better please shout. I thought that maybe (unless there was someone really clever who could knit our group name in) we could swiss darn once the square was finished.

BTW Would people prefer the edge to be left live so the next person just joins their bit on, or to cast off so that the next person picks up the number of stitches needed (which would be best I guess if you want to use not sock yarn/ 4ply)?

Ive put this as a sticky for the time being as we only have a month to organise ourselves and get the finished squares completed:roll:

If you would like to help with this could you fill in the poll. Ive put 2 options for you to be involved - either to knit or crochet. Id like an idea of haw many people want to do it so that we can plan how much each person needs to do (if that makes sense). If someone can think of something better please shout. I thought that maybe (unless there was someone really clever who could knit our group name in) we could swiss darn once the square was finished.

BTW Would people prefer the edge to be left live so the next person just joins their bit on, or to cast off so that the next person picks up the number of stitches needed (which would be best I guess if you want to use not sock yarn/ 4ply)?

Ive put this as a sticky for the time being as we only have a month to organise ourselves and get the finished squares completed:roll:

I think it would be best left on the needles and passed about. Perhaps each person could knit with their own wool? Is this going to work :confused:

I think it would be best left on the needles and passed about. Perhaps each person could knit with their own wool? Is this going to work :confused:

Yes it will be fine - it will be stripey and lovely and colourful. Maybe we should leave the stitches live with enough of a tail for the next person to cast off with should they decide to before they add their bit!

Yes it will be fine - it will be stripey and lovely and colourful. Maybe we should leave the stitches live with enough of a tail for the next person to cast off with should they decide to before they add their bit!

Cast off before they add their bit :confused: What do you mean :huh:

Cast off before they add their bit :confused: What do you mean :huh:

Well lets say, I do my bit in 4ply and the next person wants to do their bit in a homespun they may want to have less stitches I guess so will want to pick up the right number of stitches rather than having too many - does that make sense...probably not:hihi:

Saying that it just looks like its me and you doing it up til now so we can do what we like (if we decide to carry on anyway)!

Why can't I carry on with dk or 3 or 2 ply or even chunky straight after your 4 ply (for example?) I know this will not make the square exactly square, but I can't see every one elses being straight sided either. Unless we decide on all DK or all 4 ply or all chunky and do not stray.

It's causing some trouble this blankie........

If it is only us two (but I'm sure there'll be loads more along in a while) we could do a square each!