Car window tinting MEGATHREAD

Originally posted by Cols

Only £30 fine. Should be £300

As a motorcyclist I think they are the most dangerous thing on the road. You need eye contact when riding/driving, something the black window brigade prevent. That's why I never let a car out at a junction that has black windows :rant: :rant: :rant:

This is true. However, black visors on motorcycle helmets, whilst technically not entirely legal, have had a blind eye turned to them for a long time, so long as you're not riding at night.

OK, it's easier to ascertain if a motorcyclist has seen you because his/her body-language is more readable but they have the same intimidatory effect on other road users.

I often notice people getting out of my way and driving a lot more meekly when I've my black visor on.

Originally posted by Tony1

What about if i have taken the tint off allready and am left with the the adhesive on the window, will it still work

Yup, and if you don't have any baby oil I would imagine furniture polish would also work a treat, as it does on any sticky label residue left on stuff e.g. from price labels.

Well I shall be getting my car fully tinted with the front windonws both FULLY blacked out. Its my choice. If I get pulled I get pulled, I shall take the risk. I dont see why its illegal anyway. Some people wear dark shades which is a lot worse. I can see out of tinted windows fine enough without any problems, plus it helps protect against theft.

just tried baby oil from the bottle and the stuff aint movin it :(

Any sort of solvent will do and a very sharp blade.

I have all the rear tinted on mine keeps the sun out of the dogs eyes;)

Try alchohol, of the surgical variety. And a beer for you for your efforts.

Guest bostonaire

cheap brands of baby oil dont work! not suggesting youre using cheapo brand .....try buying some elbow grease and mix it with the baby oil !:D

the person who insisting hes having tints regardless.. to be truthful mate. ive had a coupla near misses in the car my son had with tints..esp at dusk!!!!. youd be surprised how much of a hinderance it is..

Originally posted by spyro2000

Well I shall be getting my car fully tinted with the front windonws both FULLY blacked out. Its my choice. If I get pulled I get pulled, I shall take the risk. I dont see why its illegal anyway. Some people wear dark shades which is a lot worse. I can see out of tinted windows fine enough without any problems, plus it helps protect against theft.

After reading some of your recent posts spyro I'd have thought you would have been trying your upmost to avoid more Police attention:huh:

Yes some people wear dark shades but these can be removed when light conditions deteriorate. Tint film cannot.

Don't get me wrong, as a bike rider I wear a tinted visor which is not BSI approved. However if I choose I can take my clear visor with me and change them when the light dims.

I have worn a standard approved/legal visor and ended up totaly dazzled by low sunlight.

Not fun. :shocked:

I wear the tinted (irridium) visor for my own safety and that of other road users.:wink:

Should I get my collar felt so be it, I'd continue to wear it for the above reasons.

The annoying part of the law is that I could no doubt wear a BSI approved clear visor with a pair of welders goggles beneath:loopy:but I like living, hence I dont.

See and be seen:thumbsup:

Originally posted by claycraft

Yes some people wear dark shades but these can be removed when light conditions deteriorate. Tint film cannot.

ahhh yes, but I can put the windows down just like people can remove their shades. As long as I can see out the car what is the problem really. :)

As for me not wanting police attention, well I suppose you are right, but im getting rid of my car now anyway as that seems to be the cause of all the problems.

Anyway, I think this is a bit off topic so ill leave it for people to help our lad with his trouble getting the adhesive off (which I know nothing about) :heyhey:

Ages ago I heard that other reasons for the 'full tint' ban were so that the driver could be identified, whether a mobile was being used, and that seat belts were being worn - when only front ones were compulsary.

ahhh yes, but I can put the windows down just like people can remove their shades. As long as I can see out the car what is the problem really. :)

True, but I would say it all concerns split second observations, not winding down the window whilst sat a junction etc:wink:

Originally posted by saxon51

Ages ago I heard that other reasons for the 'full tint' ban were so that the driver could be identified, whether a mobile was being used, and that seat belts were being worn - when only front ones were compulsary.

Now that makes sense.

Cheers :thumbsup: