Car window tinting MEGATHREAD

all im wondering is how on earth i apply it to the windows, mentions something about soapy water :S any one applied this stuff to their windows before or am i the only 'gangster/drug' dealer around here... :thumbsup:

You must be the poorest drug dealer :)

I was going to attempt to do it myself but a mate did it and if your window is concave it's going to be really difficult to do, which is why I couldnt do mine.

all im wondering is how on earth i apply it to the windows, mentions something about soapy water :S any one applied this stuff to their windows before or am i the only 'gangster/drug' dealer around here... :thumbsup:
This is why proper places charge a few hundred quid.

My tips are:

Remove the glass.

Use soapy water to get the film lined up correctly.

Squeegee the water out and allow the tints to dry onto the glass.

Trim with a very sharp knife (use a surgical scalpel) to size.

So you admit people of "questionable" virtue tint their car windows, yet you still want to tint yours.

Each to their own, eh?

So you admit people of "questionable" virtue tint their car windows, yet you still want to tint yours.

Each to their own, eh?

I have mine tinted, the op only wants the rears doing, perfectly legal. Yes I am a person of questionable virtue as I do like jumping in the back with some company!:hihi:

My tips are:

Remove the glass.

Use soapy water to get the film lined up correctly.

Squeegee the water out and allow the tints to dry onto the glass.

Trim with a very sharp knife (use a surgical scalpel) to size.

Squeegee the water out? and is it easy to take the windows out? im only 17 dont wanna wreck my windows cant afford to lol!! i thought this stuff was easy to like just stick on etc etc..obviously not :( anyone fancy doing it for me if your near gleadless area?!!

Just give it a try, if it is the rears just leave the windows in. Its just the airbubles that arnt easy to get out so you have to do it slowly, watch the vids on youtube.

Squeegee the water out? and is it easy to take the windows out? im only 17 dont wanna wreck my windows cant afford to lol!! i thought this stuff was easy to like just stick on etc etc..obviously not :( anyone fancy doing it for me if your near gleadless area?!!
If you're asking then you shouldn't do it yourself.

To be honest, I'd pay somewhere to do it for you. Yes, it's expensive but that way you won't end up with cracked and peeling tinting film, like all the other Chavs out there with DIY tints.

make sure you use soapy water so you can remove it if you make a mistake. when your happy with it go over it with a credit card or something to push all the water out and air bubbles. never done it myself but thats how its done.

I helped a friend apply it to his car windows a few years ago. I'm quite artistic, have a very steady hand and am usually quite good at that sort of thing, but I'll tell you now, its very, very difficult to get it to look like anything other than a self -applied bodge job.

The glass has to be cleaned to a surgical degree or you will end up with bubbles and bumps. Even a tiny speck of dust, fingerprint, smudge or hair will cause it to not stick properly which will then leave a bubble which will worsen over time as the tint expands and contracts with changing temperatures.

If you want it to actually look good and not like you did it yourself then I'd recommend paying the extra cash and getting it done properly.

if its just the rear you want tinting it will be cheap. take that film back and give shans tints a call they are the cheapist in sheffield and do a good job