What ever happend to FINE FARE?

there used to be one on attercliffe road between shirland lane and brinsworth street used to be the old attercliffe palace owned by garfield weston off the Sunblest fame

In case it's of interest, here is a scan from the 1973 Kelly's Directory, giving details of the 20 Fine Fare branches in Sheffield around that time.

My first job on leaving school was at Fine Fare - their yelLOW price tomato sauce was actually fizzy - the worst thing I ever tasted. They taught me how to push trolleys though!! Happy days...

its a long time since i even thought of fine fare....

both my grandparents worked at the one on manor top. i used to love visiting my grandad there 'cause he worked as a butcher in the basement. as a small child i used to feel like i was "behind the scenes" whenever i used to go down there :)

who are your grandparents as my mother-in-law worked there to from it opening, they might remember Barbara, and her twin worked at the Townend shop.

Relevant to the topic but slight out of the area...

I can clearly remember the Fine Fare in Eckington. I also remember when there was a fire there about 1982-ish? Does anyone know the year that this branch finally ceased trading as Fine Fare?

Sh2006.

I worked at Fine Fare at Firth Park in the mid 60's. All the staff were really friendly, always a good atmosphere. The manager was a chap called Roger Coker, he emigrated to Australia. He was a good bloke to work for. He was gay and extremely 'camp'.

Each morning the different delivery vans and lorries would arrive. From across the warehouse Mr Coker would shout in a very camp voice, "Morning Newboulds" or, "Morning Heinz" or "Morning Walls"........the one that creased us was when the sugar delivery came !!.....the look on the burly lorry driver's face was classic.

THERE WAS A FINE FARE IN ATTERCLIFFE ABOUT 25 YEARS AGO MY MUM WORKED THERE

I worked at fine fare in attercliffe its now UNITED CARPETS AND BEDS when the store closed we were all redeployed to other stores Iwent to MANOR TOP which is now NETTO

i remember prestos at the back of the moor, no free plastic carrier bags just large brown paper bags. great when it rained.

There's a Wikipedia page about fine fare http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_Fare and one about Presto http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presto_(UK_Supermarket) which answers many of the above questions.

However the most interesting one is about Aldi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi which is owned by two brothers who fell out!

John

who are your grandparents as my mother-in-law worked there to from it opening, they might remember Barbara, and her twin worked at the Townend shop.

hi there, unfortunately they are both long gone, fine fare was the last place they worked before retirement :)

they were called evelyn and ernest booth :)

Remember the supermarket at the Manor Top was called Challenge..... was this before or after it was Fine Fare?

I remember Fine Fare on the Manor Top.It was one of the first supermarkets around (apart from Gowers and Burgons at Gleadless Town End, who remembers that one?) I remember the cross-eyed checkout operator who appeared to look in completely the opposite direction to where she was reading the price ticket on the item she was checking.

I remember Fine Fare on the Manor Top.It was one of the first supermarkets around (apart from Gowers and Burgons at Gleadless Town End, who remembers that one?) I remember the cross-eyed checkout operator who appeared to look in completely the opposite direction to where she was reading the price ticket on the item she was checking.

Gowers and Burgons had quite a few branches, dotted around.

The larger of the two supermarkets on J-O-Gaunt Shops was a Gowers and Burgons. (the smaller was a Shentalls/ Fine Fare)

I'm pretty sure there was a branch on Park Hill flats (I know there was definitely a Shentalls and a "Stores")

The Ex- Thresher/ local beer-off on the corner of Sharrow Lane and Wostenholm Rd still has a painted sign peeping out from behind the fascia, and you can read the name "Gowers" on it.