Intake Sheffield Any history

Mauricef yes the Brother and sister of the rag and bone family I was aquainted with

I think the family name was Gartside and the chap was called Walter ? I researched about the East and West Birley pits during 1985, along with Alan Rowles and I believe

there is a copy in Woodhouse Library reference section called " Winding Up "

it is a paper back but has good information in it ..Tom lived in the first bugalow at

the start of the Land Sale and the tunnel was in the wall behind his property.

regards Patrick [ Burash ]

Hi I lived at birly vale befor fretcheville was built we came from near a farm right at bottom of the estate allsopps farm our house on left coming down from the est we had dert leading to flettons brickworcks there was also a raggand boneman he stables went selling fruit on saturday he was garside there was tunell went under the road wich was our airade shelter across the road was a narrow road that went down to the loded with coal me and my mate would hang on the back for a lift

I too remember this farm building when me and mates would spend summer there. The whole area was locally known as the "back field".

I used to live on Foxwood Avenue in 1970-80. One of my mates lived on Newlands Grove and his back garden accessed Foxwood Road if you climbed onto his hut.

Two houses on Newlands grove where bought by the developers which was then knocked down to make way for Penthorpe Close. This road didn't exists 20 years ago.

I've marked everything here for you, see map: http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/6123/backfieldbi9.jpg

Everything green - didn't exists in 1980.

The red building, if I got the right one was the only house there surrounded by this field.

The brown bit close to the red building were empty metal containers which you could enter into. There was a donkey tied up near here.

The cyan bit in the 1980's were garages which now look like a new house.

The blue bit are the 2 houses that got knocked down to make way for the new road access.

The pink bit - that always been there, but I would need to go to the site to confirm this as I have not seen it for over 20 years.

The pink bit I've ring fence, you could not access that area when you went on to the back field.

Finally, the yellow bit is the farm. The building was in a very bad state by the late 70s. There were steps on the outside of it that allows access to upstairs. I can remember the barn entrance on the first picture in http://www.picturesheffield.com but the second photo nothing looked like that in the late 1970's. The floorboard were all but gone around that time. Someone from the pink area would come out and chase you if you were caught in these buildings. On the back field itself no one really bothered you.

Foxwood road back in 1980 had no tarmac on and kind of fade away by the time it got close to the red house.

Edited by John

The quarry itself could have been the pink bit that I've ring fenced.

I never knew it was there until I saw the map because it wasn't visible if you stood on the back field.

I found this site by chance its brouht back memories ,did devlin go in richmond park? we used to have bonfires there.I was brought up in the council houses at the top of hollybank drive ,there were 6 2bed council houses then 4police houses then lots of prefabs and there are 2 long rows of council houses most have been bought now the prefabs are long gone replaced by houses ,and the field across rd from our old house and the field on the left of hollybank road and the cricket ground are all houses,the only green space left is richmond park !

My uncle lived on penthorpe close and when he bought it he was told all the land had belonged to wilkinsons who still opperate acoal yard there .

When we were young me and my friends used to put our money together and pay for 1 to get in wait till the lights went down then down to the bottom door to let the rest in ,that was ok if it didnt get too full !

There are some interesting comments about Intake in Le Talls history of Woodhouse.

My Dad was the caretaker of Intake School and one of the teachers there, Mrs Marriot, wrote a small book on the history of Intake. There was copy in Sheffield Main Library, might be worth making some enqiries? It was written in 1984, the 100th anniversary of the school (which was opened in 1884)

373.42 1984

A History of Intake School, 1884-1984

Marriott, M. M

Hope this helps.

Edited by harken77
stupid link didn't work. replaced with real data

My Dad was the caretaker of Intake School and one of the teachers there, Mrs Marriot, wrote a small book on the history of Intake. There was copy in Sheffield Main Library, might be worth making some enqiries? It was written in 1984, the 100th anniversary of the school (which was opened in 1884)

http://library.sheffield.gov.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/mVWsiPgAY4/CL/257520005/9

Hope this helps.

I was in the 1st year at Intake School in 1984, and we still have the photograph of everyone having to dress in Victorian clothes for the 100th Anniversary of the School. I can remember, Mrs Ripon, Mrs Marriot, and others such as Mrs Hardy and the Dinner Lady Mrs Hodgkin who we regularly saw even when i hit my 20's and always asked how we where...

I also remember Intake Club on Hollybank Road, and what is the now the CO-OP been Marshalls and then Lo-Cost and now the Co-Op, as well as the newsagents at the bus terminus...

Edited by rlfan
Wrong Road mentioned in post

Hi

I allready have a copy of the book as my kids were there then ,and I spent hours sewing pearl buttons onto a waistcoat ! I also went to Intake school and I am still in touch with a few who I started school with ,we are all now or nearly 50 !!!

I remember that opposite the bowling alley there was a dirt track that ran down to the red hills and at the start of the track (next to Birley Moor Road) there was an old house that we called the wood yard because we used to buy bundles of sticks from there to start the coal fire with in the morning.

The paper shop that some mention was Jack's. He owned it for years and lived on the road set back off and above Birley Moor Road. I worked there as a paper boy for a few years. Still remember the smell of ink as I packed my paper bag before setting off on my round up past the Rex (I think it was still there) and then into the estate behind.

I also have fond memories of the chippy on Alnwick Road - it was the best for miles.

Re REX cinema being for the 'posh'. Suspect this was all down to the owner.

I remember having to stand up to the National Anthem at the end of the film in the early sixties. Don't remember that happening at the one at Manor Top.

Was this done at all cinema's? When did it die out?

People were already sneaking off whilst it was being played at that time.

Re REX cinema being for the 'posh'. Suspect this was all down to the owner.

I remember having to stand up to the National Anthem at the end of the film in the early sixties. Don't remember that happening at the one at Manor Top.

Was this done at all cinema's? When did it die out?

People were already sneaking off whilst it was being played at that time.

Oh yes I had forgotten all about that I think at the Manor top the people used to get up and go out while it was playing or even before.