Sky broadband confusion!

hey, ok so if i have sky can i get sky broadband for free? what do you need to do do you get wireless with that?

Hi,

Details are here - http://broadband.sky.com/

You can get the 2MB connection for free. There is a 2GB per month usage limit though.

The inital setup cost is £30. The home installation option (Were an engineer comes and sets it up for you) is an additional £50. The wireless router is provided free.

Hope that helps!

Sky's wireless router is a piece of crap, hence it being free IMO! I'm on my Dad's Sky connection as I write, and when it works, it's good but the ****ing router constantly times out, has to be switched off, left for 10 minutes and then switched back on again, which takes a further 10 minutes for the bloody thing to come back online! :rant:

I keep telling him to go with a good provider with a router wot isn't ****, but it's free and he doesn't want to spend money.

Sky's wireless router is a piece of crap, hence it being free IMO! I'm on my Dad's Sky connection as I write, and when it works, it's good but the ****ing router constantly times out, has to be switched off, left for 10 minutes and then switched back on again, which takes a further 10 minutes for the bloody thing to come back online! :rant:

I keep telling him to go with a good provider with a router wot isn't ****, but it's free and he doesn't want to spend money.

Never had a problem with my router since going Sky BB (over a year ago). Never had a drop-out or freeze-up of it at all. The router is manufactured by Netgear on behalf of Sky, and all my routers to date have been Netgear - a brand I have always found reliable.

Works fine for me too!

Hi,

Details are here - http://broadband.sky.com/

You can get the 2MB connection for free. There is a 2GB per month usage limit though.

The inital setup cost is £30. The home installation option (Were an engineer comes and sets it up for you) is an additional £50. The wireless router is provided free.

Hope that helps!

thanks alot big help!!!

thanks again

how much can you do with a 2gb limit? is it not enough?

I am with Sky & have their router. Ive had nothing but trouble and kept having to do what your dad had to do, but then someone on SF suggested I changed my browser from IE7 to Firefox, and Ive never had any trouble since. So I found it wasnt Sky but IE7 that was causing the problems.

I was experiencing loss of connection on AOL and switched to Sky early this year. Sky provided exactly the same Netgear router which was recommended to me for running AOL on wireless.

When I suffered similar loss of connection on Sky, after several conversations on their helpline (resulting in their sending me a new router), I bought a new PC.

I have had no problems with connection whatsoever on my new machine so maybe it's not always the fault of the ISP or the router.

how much can you do with a 2gb limit? is it not enough?

It depends entirely on your usage. If you’re just viewing a few web pages and checking e-mail, 2GB is more than though. A minor internet user isn’t going to use that much bandwidth – So if you’ve already got a Sky TV package, there isn’t much reason why you shouldn’t have their free internet package