Old Sheffield Picture Palaces

Does anyone remember or went to the Victory Cinema on Upwell street.When I went there in the late forties early 1950's it cost 7d to go in downstairs and 10p to go upstairs.Its no longer there.

dint cost nowt if tha went in the bottom when some one ellse went in of course you crawled on floor

I used to go to the Rex cinema at the bottom of Mansfield rd. also one on the arbourthorne estate near the fishing pond, my sister took me there in the thirties.

Also, there was a cinema down Duke st.below Talbot rd. on the left hand side going down. One night, we were sat in there and a choc. Ice came over the top and fell into my lap, I promptly ate it then just after, a girl came to us and asked if we had seen a choc. Ice, We said no as we hadn't any money to buy her another one!!!

Hi I think that was the park cinema your talking about.The one on the Arbourthorne was the Carlton. can you remember the darnall cinema (the bugs hut) that must have been the smallest and best, it was all on one level yet it had an upstairs and downstairs ,just two steps made it so. 6pence downstairs on the hard wooden seats 10 pence halfpenny upstairs, all they ever showed was cowboys.

Hi I think that was the park cinema your talking about.The one on the Arbourthorne was the Carlton. can you remember the darnall cinema (the bugs hut) that must have been the smallest and best, it was all on one level yet it had an upstairs and downstairs ,just two steps made it so. 6pence downstairs on the hard wooden seats 10 pence halfpenny upstairs, all they ever showed was cowboys.

There was a cinema on Duke Street called 'The Norfolk'.

There was a cinema on Duke Street called 'The Norfolk'.

Norfolk Picture Palace, actually. A rather grandiose name for a very humble place.

Norfolk Picture Palace, actually. A rather grandiose name for a very humble place.

Yea you're right Nigel I can remember the Norfolk but never went there, the wife and I went to the park cinema a few times.

I recently went in the Weatherspoons Pub at Woodseats, The pub is called the Woodseats Palace, I was amazed to find out it was an old cinema and apparently there was another 2 on Woodseats itself, one was called the Chantry.

Which others do you know of in Sheffield ?

Abbeydale Pictures - Now a bar and snooker club

Heeley Pictures Palace - Where Ponsfords new building is on London Rd

Anymore, there must have been loads in the 50/60s

Anyone remember the Tudor . I think it was on Ecclesall Road .

---------- Post added 29-12-2012 at 14:36 ----------

There was also the Oxford on Oxford street , Upperthorpe .

And . Please, don't forget the" ROSCOE " , or bug hut as it was known. The tanna rush was the the highlight for us kids on a Saturday afternoon for us kids .

The two cinemas' in Barkers Pool - Gaumont and the cinema . The Kinema at Hillsborough . The Esseldo's at Lane top and at Southey green and , the "Upperthorpe" at the top of Wood Street , on Langset Road .The Wicker - insitu- was renown for a " touch- up " from the purves .We used to go in two's and three' s for safety .

---------- Post added 29-12-2012 at 14:36 ----------

There was also the Oxford on Oxford street , Upperthorpe .

And . Please, don't forget the" ROSCOE " , or bug hut as it was known. The tanna rush was the the highlight for us kids on a Saturday afternoon for us kids .

The two cinemas' in Barkers Pool - Gaumont and the cinema . The Kinema at Hillsborough . The Esseldo's at Lane top and at Southey green and , the "Upperthorpe" at the top of Wood Street , on Langset Road .The Wicker - insitu- was renown for a " touch- up " from the purves .We used to go in two's and three' s for safety .

The cinema at the top of Wood Street/Langsett Road was called The Unity.

The cinema at the top of Wood Street/Langsett Road was called The Unity.

of course it was - just testing .

silly me

there was a cinema at darnall called the lyric also picture house at bottom of staniforth road called the regal now a furniture shop

Yes - just so. The Lyric was at some point owned by Star Cinemas, they went bust, but you're forgetting the Balfour on the corner of Staniforth Road and Balfour Road. It still exists, but as Balfour Carpets. I did relief projectionist work there for a period during the mid-1950s.

MikeX

Yes - just so. The Lyric was at some point owned by Star Cinemas, they went bust, but you're forgetting the Balfour on the corner of Staniforth Road and Balfour Road. It still exists, but as Balfour Carpets. I did relief projectionist work there for a period during the mid-1950s.

MikeX

I've not kept up with this post but I think you might have forgot the greatest cinema of all the Darnall cinema, the home of Roy Rogers, Gene Autrey and an host of great cowboys. The Balfour as you say is a carpet shop but you can still see the original cinema ceiling, it was once called the Darnall picture house.

Old Netto (now Asda) on south road walkley, used to be a cinema in the 50's I think. My mum and dad said it was called the Walkey Paladium,

Old Netto (now Asda) on south road walkley, used to be a cinema in the 50's I think. My mum and dad said it was called the Walkey Paladium,

when I was young there was a full page of pictures in the star and when i used to go up town to the pictures on Saturday nightb with my mates from school we had to pick a few cinema's out because they were always full, we often had to go to our third choice.