Old Sheffield Picture Palaces

Taken From 1953 STAR.Palace A/clif,Adelphi A/clif,Balfour Darnal,Carlton,ChantryW/seats,Colliseum S/hill,Crookes Palace,Darnall Cinema,Don W/bar,Essoldo Shef/lane top,Abbeydale,Forum Southy Green,Globe A/clif.Greystones,Heeley Coliseum, Heeley Gren, Heeley Palace,Hills/bro Kinema, Hills/bro Park, Hills/bro Phoenix,Lyric Darnal,Manor, The Norfolk Duke st, Oxford Upperthorpe,Palace Tinsley,Palace Wincobank,Paragon F/park,Park Cinema South st,Pavillion A/clif,Plaza Hansworth,Regal A/cllif,Ritz P/X,Roscoe Infirmry rd,Roxy P/hall,Star..., Sunbeam...., Unity Inf/rd, Walkley Palladium,Wicker,Woodseats Palace, Gaumont in town,Cinema House in town The Palace Union st,Hipperdrome in town.

I have a list of them,

Darnall Lyric

Regal on Staniforth Road ( Attercliffe end )

Oxford at Upperthorpe

Don on West Bar Green

The Weston (bug hut ) ( you used to come out of there feeling really "alive" )

The Scala (at the end of the road where the Arts tower is today)

The Palace Union Street

The Hipperdrome

Star cinema on Ecclesall Road

There was one on South Road Walkley I think it was called The Palace but am not sure, but I have a feeling someone will know and post the correct answer

this site certainly gets your mind in gear, lol

deecee

hi there was one of the oldest cinemas opposite the Palace union st called the

Tivoli l was 11years old when l was wrongly accused of damaging the plants in the foyer and was fined 2/6 l am now 89 and still feel hurt about this. Arfer mo

Taken From 1953 STAR.Palace A/clif,Adelphi A/clif,Balfour Darnal,Carlton,ChantryW/seats,Colliseum S/hill,Crookes Palace,Darnall Cinema,Don W/bar,Essoldo Shef/lane top,Abbeydale,Forum Southy Green,Globe A/clif.Greystones,Heeley Coliseum, Heeley Gren, Heeley Palace,Hills/bro Kinema, Hills/bro Park, Hills/bro Phoenix,Lyric Darnal,Manor, The Norfolk Duke st, Oxford Upperthorpe,Palace Tinsley,Palace Wincobank,Paragon F/park,Park Cinema South st,Pavillion A/clif,Plaza Hansworth,Regal A/cllif,Ritz P/X,Roscoe Infirmry rd,Roxy P/hall,Star..., Sunbeam...., Unity Inf/rd, Walkley Palladium,Wicker,Woodseats Palace, Gaumont in town,Cinema House in town The Palace Union st,Hipperdrome in town.

Not to forget the Rex, Intake, the Capital, Lane Top, and the Don, West Bar.

There was a Cinema in the Grosvenor Hotel complex ,It had a small bar in the foyer and that you could use even though you were not a filmgoer.

There was a Cinema in the Grosvenor Hotel complex ,It had a small bar in the foyer and that you could use even though you were not a filmgoer.

Wasn't that called Cineplex?

Wasn't that called Cineplex?

I think that was it, also it is still there ! who knows when the Grosvenor reopens we may get this prime location working again.

I think that was it, also it is still there ! who knows when the Grosvenor reopens we may get this prime location working again.

I dont think anyone mentioned ABC on Angel Street where Argos store is

It had a nice coffee lounge and one of my favourite cinemas. Seemed very relaxed in those days.

The best Cinema Sheffield ever had, [in my opinion of course]

The building was an architectual jem! To be replaced by ?

there was a picture palace at manor top, it had a snooker hall under neath it that is now a co-op there was the rex at intake, which is now a super market which used to be marshals,, might still be but seems like the co-op buys up lots of shops so it might be one of those now

There is the areis light shop on the corner of greenland road what used to be a picture house called the DARNALL DICK also known as "bug hut" by the locals because when you went in , you would come out with bugs.

Then there was the BALFOUR PICTURE HOUSE which is now the pyramid carpets shop. Both these old buildings are still the same inside only minus the seats and screen. The alcoving in the later is still round the inside of the building.

On ATERCLIFFE there is the old ADELPI PICTURE HOUSE which is now used as a night club. what a shame that these picture houses have since turned in to shops.

A lot of (but not all) the picture houses that were away from the city centre had the name 'bug hut,' but the buggiest hut to me was the Victory on Upwell Street, Grimesthorpe. The back of it was the bottom of Jimmy Childs' (remember them?) tip, passing itself off as Wincobank Hill.

---------- Post added 10-06-2015 at 01:45 ----------

01:46 ----------[/size]

[/color]

I think the title says 'Old'. the ABC was built in 1961 !!

Edited by stpetre
add