Old Sheffield Picture Palaces

when I was young there was a full page of pictures in the star and when i used to go up town to the pictures on Saturday nightb with my mates from school we had to pick a few cinema's out because they were always full, we often had to go to our third choice.

Well, that's interesting. There were (are) two cinemas built to the same design (because they belonged originally to the same owner). The Palladium at Walkley was one, the Adelphi at Attercliffe was the other. This latter building still stands on Vicar Lane, clearly visible as you drive past.

I believe that the buildings are listed, meaning that their appearance cannot be materially changed. Hope that ASDA haven't cocked up the Palladium...

MikeX

When I was a girl there were 51 cinemas in Sheffield I once counted them. the listing used to fill a page in the Star. Oddest one to my mind was the one at Heeley Green, it was really weird.. One of my favourites was the tiny Heeley Coliseum on London Rd at Queens Rd and the oddball lanky commissionaire. There was another a few yards up nearer the bridge... But the name has gone from my memory. The nicest looking interior of all was the Hippodrome on Cambridge St.. It was once a theatre The act #s stand was still at the side of the stage.. We kids during the war always went in the Gods it was 3d...

BTW I'm back after being AWOL for several years

Reason I'm back I saw some misnomers about the Wardley family of 6 brothers and their off springs from Woodseats who were dealers and furniture movers I have to put that part of Sheffield History right. My book about them as poor kids is in the archives at the Central library and was recently used at the Montgomery Hall in at 200 year History play called Sheffield Song... Cheers to all from Ontario ex pat Ann Wardley neeWardley from Abbey Lane and Banner Cross born at Highfields

The cinema at the top of Wood Street/Langsett Road was called The Unity.

saw my one and only silent film there plus ALL but one of films I ever saw in Sheffield, mind u 1950 not a lot going on the screen but raw sex in the back seats on a sat night WOW:suspect::suspect:

When I was a girl there were 51 cinemas in Sheffield I once counted them. the listing used to fill a page in the Star. Oddest one to my mind was the one at Heeley Green, it was really weird.. One of my favourites was the tiny Heeley Coliseum on London Rd at Queens Rd and the oddball lanky commissionaire. There was another a few yards up nearer the bridge... But the name has gone from my memory. The nicest looking interior of all was the Hippodrome on Cambridge St.. It was once a theatre The act #s stand was still at the side of the stage.. We kids during the war always went in the Gods it was 3d...

BTW I'm back after being AWOL for several years

Reason I'm back I saw some misnomers about the Wardley family of 6 brothers and their off springs from Woodseats who were dealers and furniture movers I have to put that part of Sheffield History right. My book about them as poor kids is in the archives at the Central library and was recently used at the Montgomery Hall in at 200 year History play called Sheffield Song... Cheers to all from Ontario ex pat Ann Wardley neeWardley from Abbey Lane and Banner Cross born at Highfields

Electric Palace?

Or something similar. My books aren't with me, so I'm guessing.

Hi, just for information, the Ritz on Wordsworth Avenue is no more it's completely flattend, this happend recently and I watched it disappear during my visits to watch Sheffield Wednesday, for me this cinema is where I was brought up, I can still see the chap in the wheel chair outside when I am on a nostalgia trip RIP The Ritz.

When I was a girl there were 51 cinemas in Sheffield I once counted them. the listing used to fill a page in the Star. Oddest one to my mind was the one at Heeley Green, it was really weird..

For a while, I lived close by and it was my local.

Never thought of it as "weird", although there were old time theatre boxes on the side if you paid extra, which my gramma often did.

What did you find weird about it?

I hear the Tesco on Herries road used to be a old picture house.

the picture house where the tesco is was called the forum

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 14:17 ----------

Am I right in saying that the Netto on MIddlewood road used to be a cinema?

I'm sure my gran has mentioned it before.

it is not the netto now it is asda and it used to be hillsbrough kinema

Hi, just for information, the Ritz on Wordsworth Avenue is no more it's completely flattend, this happend recently and I watched it disappear during my visits to watch Sheffield Wednesday, for me this cinema is where I was brought up, I can still see the chap in the wheel chair outside when I am on a nostalgia trip RIP The Ritz.

Is that what used to be called the " Eseldo" ?

It's interesting to note that Tesco ,Asda and all the rest of the supermarkets are using all that is regenerated .

Use your local butcher . You may pay a little more but you won't get ill .

the picture house where the tesco is was called the forum

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 14:17 ----------

it is not the netto now it is asda and it used to be hillsbrough kinema

Sorry Val it was the Hilsboro Park Cinema.

Just for info. The Forum was normally classed as at Southey Green and was part of the Essoldo group with the Capital at Lane Top and the one at Ecclesfield.

The last time I saw the Forum about 15 years ago, it had been replaced by a supermarket.

Worked there 50/51 in the projection box, anyone remember the horse races on stage?

the forum was on herries road the shirecliffe siide the other side was longley lived at the side of forum the bottom of our garden was at the forum carpark.

Sorry Val it was the Hilsboro Park Cinema.

Read (a few years ago) in the Star that it still had the old balcony.

Read (a few years ago) in the Star that it still had the old balcony.
maybe i have not been in since 1970 i met my late wife there in 1960.

---------- Post added 11-05-2013 at 13:15 ----------

The Forum was mine and jasper12 stamping ground when we were kids.