Warning re. MBNA credit cards

MBNA have a reputation akin to doorstep loan sharks.

This link makes very interesting reading:

LINK

I've had 2 loans from them in the past and been quite happy with the prices and service. Never had a credit card with them though.

theres nothing wrong in being a credit tart, jump from one interest free offer to another, just watch out for the 2-3% transfer fee's that get added on

For those of us with an MBNA Credit card. I have noticed that interest charged to my account is sometimes higher than the previous month, even though the balance is considerably lower, (I pay the minimum plus extra to lower my balance) and no other transactions have been made. I have contacted them to point out this "interest overpayment" but all they say is it calculated on a daily basis. My argument is that it is Mathematically impossible to calculate a higher interest charge on a lower balance, even if one or two extra days interest is payable, my balance would have to exceed the previous months balance for them to charge more interest.

This has happened on 4 occasions in the last 12 months.

What can I do to redress this, anybody know???

Yes, I think you better had!

Get yourself on martin Lewis's website... It's called card tarting. If you have 12 months of interest free on the balance transfer then on the 10th month (if you've not cleared the debt) apply for another interest free card and carry out another balance transfer.

The interest free period will also stop if a purchase is made on the card!

For anyone who uses a zero interest card to transfer a balance, for God's sake, use it for a balance transfer and ONLY for a balance transfer. Scary things happen if you use a card for both a balance transfer, and to buy things.

Blimey, I started this thread 6 and a half years ago! I got shot of my credit cards a good while back.

For anyone who uses a zero interest card to transfer a balance, for God's sake, use it for a balance transfer and ONLY for a balance transfer. Scary things happen if you use a card for both a balance transfer, and to buy things.

Not so much now. The law was changed so that monthly payments pay the part of the debt with the highest interest rate first.

A) Have an MBNA ad here, very funny ;)

B) We've had an MBNA card for well over a decade and never had issue with them, polite, quick to answer both the phone and email and always on point when it comes to any issues.

C) they provide you with information when you take out a card, it helps to read it all. Creditcard small print isn't for the faint of heart, if you have a faint heart, don't take a credit card out.